• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Closing paths

Colin

Sometimes when I import an EPS vector file into CorelDraw (12) some of the contour paths are "open" (for whatever reason) and therefore won't accept a color fill. I close them by going to "Arrange > Close Paths", but it will only do one contour at a time; if I try to select more than one contour and then close them, it joins them together with a vector line.

Doing them one at a time is tedious, so is there a way to select multiple contours and then close their paths all at once?

Last edited:

Joe Diaz

Take all of the contours, combine them, then select your shape tool (F10), draw a box around the shapes you want to fix, then select the "close curve" button from your top toolbar. Then if you need to, you can just break apart the combined shape.

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for?

Custom_Grafx

Not to my knowledge - and yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

The only thing I have found has saved me some time, is assigning a shortcut key to the closing paths command. At least that way, you just select the path, and hit your shortcut key, and it's done - you don't need to go into the menu everytime.

Custom_Grafx

No idea - sux huh? Sometimes does it in vice versa when opening an eps generated by corel in adobe illustrator...

Is the main reason for you wanting to close these otherwise ok looking paths simply to fill colour? If so, I believe there is an option which let's you apply colour to paths which are not "closed" according to corel.

Illustrator behaves like this by default, but you can make corel do it too.

If you need to close the path because you need to make it a compound shape, then yeah, no way around it, you gotta close the path.

Custom_Grafx

I'm using X3, but for your sake, am hoping this is available for 12...

Go to tools/options/document/general, and check "fill open curves".

As per attachment.

Attachments

• corel.gif
    corel.gif
    13 KB · Views: 97

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Its in the Options dialog under the document>general settings.
I am just wondering if this might not cause issues when you send the file to the rip.
Seems like it could cause problems if it is not a standard EPS option that gets exported correctly out of corel.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I am just wondering if this might not cause issues when you send the file to the rip.
Seems like it could cause problems if it is not a standard EPS option that gets exported correctly out of corel.

FYI:

I just did a test, exporting the same image with closed contours and the ones with "fill open curves" and they both printed fine.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds good.
I think I would still not do it.
From past experience the less complicated the files you feed to the RIP the less chance you have of something falling out and ruining a print.
I had an Illustrator eps file sent from a national company that would print fine at a reduced size.The file was all vector and when I brought it up to full size it would look perfect.
The start of the print was good. By the time it hit the middle/end of the print (10ft total) there would be large dark colored artifacts that only showed up on the parts of the graphic composed of arcs. There was no transparency or any other effects in the file.
In the end flattening the file and sending it to the RIP as a bitmap got the job done.
Some files that I have generated in X5 have had the gradients drop out only when printed at full size.
I am running the latest versions of Illy and Corel and printing through Flexi 8.6 to a 1 year old value jet.
Could be my equipment, but I can get what I need if reduce the fubar factor as much as possible before hitting the button that starts spraying ink.

wayne k
guam usa

Malkin

Good tips Wayne.

I also have an ever pressing desire to make my files as simple as possible. It must be from all those years of vinyl cutting...

Colin

From past experience the less complicated the files you feed to the RIP the less chance you have of something falling out and ruining a print.

I can get what I need if reduce the fubar factor as much as possible before hitting the button that starts spraying ink.

All good advice.