• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CMKY/pantone Sending artwork for outsource digital printing

soloinstaller

Hi signs101 members,

I'm looking to outsource some digital prints in the future and I was wondering if I am going the right way about this. I'm currently teaching myself how to design graphics in photoshop/illustrator by myself as I want to function as both the graphic designer and installer for my customers (unless they provide the artwork, which in some cases may need to be retouched regardless)

My question is about color output; I plan to get a Pantone color bridge guide to match the CMYK colors from my artwork in photoshop/illustrator and then provide the Pantone colors to my print supplier. I know that it's a lot more complicated than this but am I thinking about this the correct way? Forgive me, I'm new to the idea of digital printing and graphic designing but this is what I want to do. Thanks.

electricfly

Check different print providers for what their requirements are, and have listed art guide lines online, most common format is PDF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What's your ink set? Is is really just cmyk, or do you have more colors in your ink set, like light magenta, light cyan... ?

soloinstaller

What's your ink set? Is is really just cmyk, or do you have more colors in your ink set, like light magenta, light cyan... ?
Hi Boudica,

I should go do some more learning before I come running to this forum for advice, lol...

I'm not doing the printing myself but rather outsourcing the print jobs to another shop

Was just wondering how I can compile my graphics files to be suitable for the best color output on their printers. I should probably be asking that shop but they're closed since its Sunday so I figured I would run here :confused:

I have no experience with real graphic design and printing unfortunately, I'm learning how to graphic design by myself and I see outsourcing as a way to get my foot in the door for digital print manufacturing/installations until I can do it in-house. Does that sound unrealistic? Let me know if it does, I value criticism as it helps me decide on things!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
My short answer is, if the printing inkset is more than CMYK, you should be building in RGB, as it has a wider color gamut, which can be reached better with a 6-9 color inkset.
Edit to say, ask your printer what their inkset is, and what they suggest.

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes, that is exactly what you need to do. If you are sending to a place like Signs365 there's a color match notes section for you to note the PMS colors. I typically just say Blue = PMSXXX, Red = PMSXXX, etc. It's important to purchase the color bridge like you mentioned. I would suggest before you get too far with things open an account with them and watch the help videos - like today if you have time. They do a good job of explaining the process in a simple way with pictures. A trade printer that is on here a lot is FIreSprint so if you end up using them and have any questions, he's on here often and can get you an answer.

dypinc

Hi signs101 members,

I'm looking to outsource some digital prints in the future and I was wondering if I am going the right way about this. I'm currently teaching myself how to design graphics in photoshop/illustrator by myself as I want to function as both the graphic designer and installer for my customers (unless they provide the artwork, which in some cases may need to be retouched regardless)

My question is about color output; I plan to get a Pantone color bridge guide to match the CMYK colors from my artwork in photoshop/illustrator and then provide the Pantone colors to my print supplier. I know that it's a lot more complicated than this but am I thinking about this the correct way? Forgive me, I'm new to the idea of digital printing and graphic designing but this is what I want to do. Thanks.
Do not convert to CMYK. Leave the Pantone Spot colors as spot colors. Let the printer match the by the method they need to use to match that color to the Pantone Book. All RIPs have color libraries of those named spot colors to set the output values to their printer if digital. The RIPs also have the ability the print a color book of various output values so that the printer can pick which values best match the color book.

If you are designing for offset print you want to leave the Pantone spot color as a spot color so that the print can use that ink or convert to CMKY on their end.

If exact color is not that important and you really wanting to use and send CMYK only you would probably be better off using the Process color books. And most important be sure and embed your working color profile be it RGB or CMYK so your printer knows what input profile to use. This will give you the best chance for matching what you see.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As you can see, color has a lot of facets to it. Lots of good advice above. One thing I wanted to add is to know that you can only hit about 65% of Pantones with a digital printer. Some do better than others of course but the point is that there are limits you will bump into once in a while and managing customer's expectations about that will relieve you of a lot of stress.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Hi signs101 members,

I’ve "retouched" your initial post a bit…

I'm looking to outsource some digital recordings in the future and I was wondering if I am going the right way about this. I'm currently teaching myself how to play the guitar and piano by myself as I want to function as both the composer and performer for my customers (unless they provide the sheet music, which in some cases may need to be embellished regardless)

My question is about music recording; I plan to get a Peterson tuning guide to match the ABCDEFG notes from my work on guitar and piano and then provide the Peterson notes to my recording studio. I know that it's a lot more complicated than this but am I thinking about this the correct way? Forgive me, I'm new to the idea of digital recording and musicianship but this is what I want to do. Thanks.

I'm sure for most, where there's enough will, there's a way.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
A second step is to commit to memory six color names in the following order if you haven’t done so already…
…red, green, blue, as "additive colors" & cyan, magenta, yellow as "subtractive colors."

A visual helps for reference.

Color-Wheel.jpg

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
It's important to know that light magenta or light cyan don't extend or increase color gamut. The two only help to create a better quality rendition of smooth gradients, skin tones, and the like. Inksets using orange and / or green or some others can certainly help to increase color gamut, however.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
if the printing inkset is more than CMYK, you should be building in RGB, as it has a wider color gamut, which can be reached better with a 6-9 color inkset.
RGB color spaces can certainly be used to help produce vivid colors but don't exclude simple CMYK color spaces because certain four color spaces can be even wider in places than the typical RGB spaces and more conformed to the wide color gamut of the printer and inkset. Epson, Roland, and maybe others offer such working spaces.

(More later with visuals.)