• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Comparison - Versaworks, Caldera, and Onyx

JP4

I have been reading a lot about Latex(HP) printer and was wondering about a few things.

Roland printers come with Versworks so the price is included in the Printer. I have read a bit about Caldera and see many choices of their software. What is comparable to Versaworks in Caldera and Onyx and how much more could I expect to pay on top of a purchase of a Latex(HP) printer?

Please give me a link if this topic has already been discussed.

Thanks

neil_se

Something like Photoprint/Flexi are probably most comparable to Versaworks, Caldera and Onyx are a step above. I think Caldera cost us about $7000 (with Grand format drivers) and it's been worth every cent, but we run 4 printers off it so YMMV.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Caldera Dealer

Just finished our Caldera training session today. Caldera is whole new different step up to rest of the rip software listed. Spend once so you don't need to upgrade again for many years to come.

PM me for more info about Caldera. Our local caldera is very helpful and might be able to get you rebates.

k_graham

I have been reading a lot about Latex(HP) printer and was wondering about a few things.

Roland printers come with Versworks so the price is included in the Printer. I have read a bit about Caldera and see many choices of their software. What is comparable to Versaworks in Caldera and Onyx and how much more could I expect to pay on top of a purchase of a Latex(HP) printer?

Please give me a link if this topic has already been discussed.

Thanks

I had a file with transparency as test, Roland was out,

Tested Onyx Thrive and Caldara using Xeon 4 core processor and separate drives as Caldara was running Linux. Thrive crashed many times on my system plus was extra for color profiling. I was using Windows 8 which may have been a issue?

Caldara has been much more stable but I sure wished the dealer had sent a Caldera set up person. If you can trade in a old rip dongle or Rip, you can save 1000 so its under 2 for 1 HP plus 1 cutter. If you have a spectro for your copier a good chance you can use it with Calderas profiling software.

PP

FrankW

When buying a latex 310 or 330, you will get a RIP included too ... the SAi FlexiPRINT HP Edition. This is an OEM of the PhotoPRINT SE Low Cost RIP, but with Panelling- and Nesting-Option included.

Although PhotoPRINT SE is a low end RIP regarding to other SAi-Products too, you will find a lot of functionality above VersaWorks. For example the possibility to size images disproportionately, having up to 50 free nameable Print Queues instead of up to 2 with fixed names, and much more.

Differences to VersaWorks too, altough only HP Printer Drivers available in FlexiPRINT HP Edition, is the possibility to update this Version to a premium Edition für small money which contains drivers for contour cutting on every common cutting plotter brand, an Editor for a lot of functionality including a very easy generator for creating cut contours, driving two printers at the same time and more.

The premium edition is available for the 360 too, for a much lower price than Onyx Postershop HP Edition or similiar products too.

What is nearly unbeatable in VersaWorks specially in the meaning of ease of use is the spot color replacement system (Roland Color System Library). Onyx have a lot of interesting features, for example new functionality to print color swatches for reference colors when doing color replacement, very good functionality when driving summa contour cutting plotters and so on. But it is more expensive.

I don't know Caldera very much. Beside the fact that it is expensive, it is a linux application. Someone would not like to use a Mac or a Linux PC separately to drive that software. But on the other hand, own tests are looking very interesting.

neil_se

I don't know Caldera very much. Beside the fact that it is expensive, it is a linux application. Someone would not like to use a Mac or a Linux PC separately to drive that software. But on the other hand, own tests are looking very interesting.
I thought this may be a problem as I've only ever used PCs before, but I just bought a standard Mac and it runs Caldera so smoothly compared to ever other RIP I've had. It's very stable enough while simultaneously running 4 printers.

Photoprint nesting is the worst I've ever used :frustrated:

CES020

Do you have any links/tutorials on the onyx color replacement features? I haven't found much in terms of tutorials or videos. :thankyou:

Here you go Pat :

[video=youtube;4yOI0H8z3qs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOI0H8z3qs[/video]

kanini

Wasatch has worked quite well with our L26500, they have a HP latex version and is quite affordable and works well. Maybe one more to add into the comparision?

FrankW

I thought this may be a problem as I've only ever used PCs before, but I just bought a standard Mac and it runs Caldera so smoothly compared to ever other RIP I've had.

You're right. In this case, there is just only the old fashioned user interface design :rolleyes:

CanuckSigns

I do love that feature about Versaworks as much as that software gets on my nerves and crashes daily. It's nice to be able to replace colors and set the output cmyk values when you know certain colors aren't printing the way they should. That being said - I don't think this would be quite as useful if you had a properly calibrated workflow...but at the time being it comes in handy for us.

Do you have any links/tutorials on the onyx color replacement features? I haven't found much in terms of tutorials or videos. :thankyou:

I literally just found out about the colour replacement function in versaworks a month ago when we had a tech out to replace our capping station.

I used to think I couldn't print a nice tomato red or canary yellow on my Roland, but after he showed us that it was a game changer. We have one client who's colour is purple, it was always hit or miss if it turned out purple or navy blue, now it's perfect every time.

the more I learn about versaworks, the more I like it and feel it really is a great rip with tons of features, especially for the price!