• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut Sign to be Hung Outside on Facade of Building

My customers previous sign was a contour cut Aluminum Composite Sign that was screwed in overhead with (im guessing) homemade wood stand offs. She did a rebrand with me and changed her logo. It's a 4'x16' 6mm Thick Aluminum Composite sign that is just her logo and is already made. She wants it to stand off like the previous sign (About an inch off the wall). I of course want to use metal standoffs then the previous wood ones. What would you suggest for hanging this sign?

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I suggest not using ACM for a backer. I don't have anything against ACM, mind you- it's just that that's a pretty sizeable backer to have relying on a couple of pieces of tin-foil and plastic to keep the fasteners in place. I've seen plenty of ACM signs pulled off walls, posts, etc. when a stiff wind comes along.
To avoid having to drill a whole lot of holes in the building's facade, I'd suggest a shallow (1" deep) pan with stud-mounted letters. It would be a much sturdier final product.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Mount a wood frame behind it and where the seam will meet. 6mm ACM will be fine. That pic looks way bigger than 4x16. What a horrible logo..but then again, it's a salon so it could be worse

Mount a wood frame behind it and where the seam will meet. 6mm ACM will be fine. That pic looks way bigger than 4x16. What a horrible logo..but then again, it's a salon so it could be worse
I measured the front so the sign was created to scale. I wasn’t asking for advice on the logo just how to hang it. The town has had nothing but positive feedback to her new logo and new marketing materials. So based off my local community and the business owners feedback, I’d say the logo is perfect and exactly what they were looking for! :)

Thank you for the advice on how to hang it. The sign doesn’t have a seam. Each letter (or combination of letters) is one piece. But I do like your idea of how to hang it.

weyandsign

Your drawing is showing a 24'W sign. And WHY does this need to be an inch off the wall? Does it have a halo glow?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Standoffs for a 4x16 flat ACM sign doesn't make sense. Your drawing shows a flat sign. Are you mounting dimensional letters to a 6mm ACM panel? Are you standoffing the dimensional letters or the entire ACM panel? I agree with weandaign, that looks like 24'. Something with your scale is iff and I'm not understanding your explanation of what your building.

ProSignTN

I can't see the picture either. Never had an ACM install failure. Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a mechanical install failure period. Did have a tornado suck some Gemini formed letters off the wall years ago, but I didn't put them up, I just replaced them.

Signarama Jockey

I've had nothing but success with ACM, especially 6mm ACM. Although, I do agree that it is a lot of weight, and that means whatever you decide to do for mounting will need to be robust. And, to keep too much stress from loading on any one point, this means a fair amount of studs. This, in turn means that you'll need to put a lot of holes in the building to get this anchored right. Some of the other comments have mentioned it and I agree with them; I don't see the added benefit to having the sigh stand off from the wall unless there is a specific effect. Birds and wasps will love the space, but I'm imagining how much additional load that is going to put on each of those studs. If it doesn't need to be set off from the wall for a specific reason, I'd say flush mount it.

If you are considering a frame (which I think is probably smart), I'd consider something metal instead of wood. Personal preference, but I like the certainty of metal.