• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cordless tool combo, what you like?

visual800

It is time for the inevitable.....upgrading my combo tool kit. For the past 15 years i buy a cordless skilsaw, 1/2 hammerdrill, and sawzall. In early years I used dewalt til they got crappy, betteries started not lasting long, I left dewalt and have stuck with milwaukee, they have not let me down yet. Iam currently using the V18 combo set and i have went thru 10 batteries on this set.

I have been looking at the M18 milwaukee set. Do any of you use the new M18? Or is it time to swap to another brand? What are yall using?

FS-Keith

i have been using dewalt 18v for the past couple of years, and as you said the quality went downhill. My next setup will be hilti

mark-s

Makita 18V combo.
Been using Makita since they first came out in the mid 80`s.
Tried dewalt and a few others but always come back to Makita.

mark-s (retired carpenter 40yrs.)

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I own the following DeWalt 20v tools and use one or more almost every day:

Hammer Drill
Compact Drill
Right Angle Drill
Impact Driver
SDS Rotary Hammer
Jigsaw
Grinder/Cutoff
Recip Saw
Circular Saw
Wet Dry Vac

I have absolutely zero complaints about any of them. I have three of the 2.0aH XR battery packs and they last a ridiculously long time. I have five of the 3.0aH battery packs and basically never use them because the 2.0aH batteries will get me through virtually any job.

Next month I'll be adding the 20v oscillating/multi-tool.

As a bit of a splurge, I also bought the DeWalt heated jacket. I have the 12v flashlight and will primarily use that battery for the jacket and use the 2.0aH 20v batteries as backup if needed.

All of that being said, Milwaukee's M18 Fuel lineup has more options than DeWalt's 20v and most of the tools have higher output (rpm's, bpm's, torque, etc.). Sometimes I wish I would have went with the Milwaukee lineup because they bring newer tools to market sooner and more of a variety to choose from. But I'm already vested in the 20v DeWalt line, so I'll continue to add to it.

If you like Milwaukee, I would stick with Milwaukee and upgrade to their Fuel line. They also offer a 5 year warranty vs. DeWalt's 3 year warranty.

I understand that Hilti's service is pretty outstanding. They will bring you replacement parts/tools to your jobsite, etc. But most of their tools are literally twice as much as DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. Assuming you will be using the "run of the mill" tools I mentioned above, I don't see the justification. Most people say you're paying more for the service. If the tool is so great and dependable, why would you need the service...?

My two cents.

John Butto

I have a Milwaukee hammer drill M18 when they first came out, then I bought a M12 small hammer driver drill, I love that thing, cheap. I also have a M18 reciprocating saw, another great tool. I have owned them all and always go back to Milwaukee. The same company that owns Milwaukee makes Ryobi.

Pat Whatley

Iam currently using the V18 combo set and i have went thru 10 batteries on this set.

have you tried fixing your "dead" batteries? I have six "dead" 18v Ryobi batteries. I shock-charged them and five of them came back to life and have been holding a charge like new batteries for months now.

VTSigns

I own the following DeWalt 20v tools and use one or more almost every day:

Hammer Drill
Compact Drill
Right Angle Drill
Impact Driver
SDS Rotary Hammer
Jigsaw
Grinder/Cutoff
Recip Saw
Circular Saw
Wet Dry Vac

I have absolutely zero complaints about any of them. I have three of the 2.0aH XR battery packs and they last a ridiculously long time. I have five of the 3.0aH battery packs and basically never use them because the 2.0aH batteries will get me through virtually any job.

Next month I'll be adding the 20v oscillating/multi-tool.

As a bit of a splurge, I also bought the DeWalt heated jacket. I have the 12v flashlight and will primarily use that battery for the jacket and use the 2.0aH 20v batteries as backup if needed.

All of that being said, Milwaukee's M18 Fuel lineup has more options than DeWalt's 20v and most of the tools have higher output (rpm's, bpm's, torque, etc.). Sometimes I wish I would have went with the Milwaukee lineup because they bring newer tools to market sooner and more of a variety to choose from. But I'm already vested in the 20v DeWalt line, so I'll continue to add to it.

If you like Milwaukee, I would stick with Milwaukee and upgrade to their Fuel line. They also offer a 5 year warranty vs. DeWalt's 3 year warranty.

I understand that Hilti's service is pretty outstanding. They will bring you replacement parts/tools to your jobsite, etc. But most of their tools are literally twice as much as DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. Assuming you will be using the "run of the mill" tools I mentioned above, I don't see the justification. Most people say you're paying more for the service. If the tool is so great and dependable, why would you need the service...?

My two cents.

+1

I own DeWalt 20v Lithium tools as well and they are really great tools, far better than the older standard 18V DeWalt tools. They are built much better and feel good in your hand.

DizzyMarkus

I have the M12 (12v) screwgun and love mine. The ion packs charge super fast, dont need to cool before charging and last forever :0) I have three batteries and 1 charger-- they rotate and run the gun and radio all day.

Markus

Locals Find!

As much as you use those tools. You should look into leasing them from a distributor. Years ago, I was working at a Fire Sprinkler company and that is what all of us guys did. The lease covered all our batteries over the 3 year term we could chew up we got 3 sets per tool. Also covered all our abuse to the tools themselves and at the end of the lease we got the tools and 3 new sets of batteries for $1.

Just my opinion and we leased RYOBI products at the time all 24v.

visual800

I appreciate all the opinions and will move to the fuel. Pat Whatley, no when my batteries die or get to slackin I throw them on ebay and they bring a good little bit of money. I usually bundle all tools and charger and batteries together and sell a one unit, might bring 2-250 not bad to pay down on new kit

As much as you use those tools. You should look into leasing them from a distributor. .

sir thanks for that but i dont think leasing for me is a solution it just one set of tools

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I first started doing my own stuff, I had all Makita. Cordless wasn't an option back then. I slowly changed over to DeWalt, with the introduction of cordless, also. I've been terribly upset with DeWalt's lousy batteries and cunning sales, that I've been going back to Makita, little by little. At a mixer, we had here some years back, some members here explained how to re-build and repair our own battery packs, but never got into it. I guess more work than I found necessary. Now that we have several generators on all the trucks, I'm going back to all corded tools again. So dependable.

Locals Find!

I appreciate all the opinions and will move to the fuel. Pat Whatley, no when my batteries die or get to slackin I throw them on ebay and they bring a good little bit of money. I usually bundle all tools and charger and batteries together and sell a one unit, might bring 2-250 not bad to pay down on new kit

sir thanks for that but i dont think leasing for me is a solution it just one set of tools

Yeah, if your a one man operation it usually doesn't work out in your favor. You really need to have at least 5 sets to start making it worthwhile and worth the tax deduction.

Z SIGNS

I like a Milwaukee plug in hammer drill if I'm going to be drilling holes all day but for an ordinary cordless drill for I like the new ryobi's.

TheSnowman

The 20V Dewalt set rocks my socks off. I wouldn't even consider anything else. I've owned Dewalts since the 18V stuff went mainstream and have no desire to look for any other brands.

OldPaint

i got this RYOBI love affair goin on. 18v LITHIUM .........HOLDS CHARGE AND LASTS!!!!!!! also the extent of RYOBI TOOLS that you can buy that either use 18V lithium or 24V lithium....ARE MANY!!!!!!
i got drill, flashlight, 5" circular saw, recip saw. my next purchase will be a 24V chain saw.....cant pull the gas powered one any more. maybe a weed eater......tools are affordable and tough!!!!
for the professional.. HILTI or METABO........ but these are limited as to what youy can buy.

ThinkRight

At Batteries Plus, we want to make sure the battery in your tool can never be to blame for an unfinished project. We are here to serve the individual craftsman, the heavy duty contractor and the weekend warrior with power tool batteries that are built to last. We offer original Dewalt, Makita, Black & Decker and Milwaukee electric batteries for popular cordless drills, impact drivers, saws, screw guns and more models like the XRP, Firestorm, Versa-Pak and Skil Twist. We also offer our own line of replacement cordless tool batteries that are built to meet or surpass OEM specifications. They are made with top cells from Sanyo and Panasonic cells and a durable polycarbonate plastic to provide you a quality and performance at affordable prices.

Have a unique, older model with a nonexistent battery solution? Not a problem. Batteries Plus specializes in assembly and can rebuild many older model power tool batteries right in our on-site tech center.
http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-cordless-tool-batteries.aspx
This is a solution if your tools are still usable , they can rebuild a battery at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

Locals Find!

At Batteries Plus, we want to make sure the battery in your tool can never be to blame for an unfinished project. We are here to serve the individual craftsman, the heavy duty contractor and the weekend warrior with power tool batteries that are built to last. We offer original Dewalt, Makita, Black & Decker and Milwaukee electric batteries for popular cordless drills, impact drivers, saws, screw guns and more models like the XRP, Firestorm, Versa-Pak and Skil Twist. We also offer our own line of replacement cordless tool batteries that are built to meet or surpass OEM specifications. They are made with top cells from Sanyo and Panasonic cells and a durable polycarbonate plastic to provide you a quality and performance at affordable prices.

Have a unique, older model with a nonexistent battery solution? Not a problem. Batteries Plus specializes in assembly and can rebuild many older model power tool batteries right in our on-site tech center.
http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-cordless-tool-batteries.aspx
This is a solution if your tools are still usable , they can rebuild a battery at a fraction of the cost of new ones.

Thanks for sharing. I never knew they rebuilt batteries.

Speedsterbeast

I was a sales rep for an industrial supply company for 12 years before my sign venture. I sold Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, and some Chinese tools. I can say that I don't care for DeWalt (older tools were much better though) at all. If I'm going with a combo kit I would go Milwaukee for sure, but for overall quality Bosch is about the best tool manufacturer out there. However, all companies have their strengths. example: Sawzalls- Milwaukee, Angle Grinders- Makita, Accessories- DeWalt, Hammer Drills- Bosch.