• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Corel X4 can no longer make an .eps file that Roland Versaworks will accept.

signmeup

Versaworks has decided new eps files from Coreldraw X4 are no longer usable. My printer (SP540V) is run by a Windows7 computer. It will run files that were made last week but I can't make new files.

If I make a new eps file on my ancient (2002) Windows XP computer (running the same version of Corel... X4) put it on a thumbdrive and load it into Versaworks on the Windows 7 computer... it likes the file just fine.

What happens is I make a new eps file, open it in Versaworks, click "RIP" and it tries to rip the file but freezes at 25% or so and just sits there. I have to use task manager to force shut down Versaworks or it will sit there forever. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Corel with no difference in behavior.

Any ideas?

Adrian

Last edited:

richsweeney

Most likely the software is aging out. You will have to keep trying work a-rounds. Try tweaking the settings when you make the eps, look for the word flatten, compatibility or any other setting. If something is clicked, unclick it and visa versa.
Another option is print to a newer version of PDF as a image or save your vector file as a image. The colors may change however and it will give you a bigger file. My guess it has to do with transparency's. Also if Versworks was upgraded to w11, that can be an issues as well. Only about 1/2 of the existing PC'S can be upgraded to W11.

signmeup

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what "software is aging out" means but I appreciate the suggestion. I'll google it. I've tried pretty much everything I can see for exporting the file. I went step by step with the XP computer and the same exact steps on the Windows 7 one and still no joy. Something must be corrupted in the W7 computer that corrupts Corel when I install it fresh even. I print a lot of files over and over so I'm not disabled... just horribly inconvenienced. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Never thought a 20 year old XP computer would save the day.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Thanks... didn't know that! I haven't tried any files that small.
Yep, it's true. I've run into that a few times. Even with a brand new computer, windows 11, and VW 6. Just need to expand the canvas size in the art file.

damonCA21

Try saving the artwork as a PDF instead, VW is normally fine with this. Or maybe downgrade your version of Corel. I use X3 and have never had a problem with VW accepting an EPS from it

signmeup

Try saving the artwork as a PDF instead, VW is normally fine with this. Or maybe downgrade your version of Corel. I use X3 and have never had a problem with VW accepting an EPS from it
I need files I can print and cut. I don't think I can cut a pdf. I tried a fresh install of X4 but it made no difference. I don't have a copy of an older version.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I need files I can print and cut. I don't think I can cut a pdf. I tried a fresh install of X4 but it made no difference. I don't have a copy of an older version.
You can pull in a PDF, as long as it has the cut path set to the spot color, just like an EPS.
To expand the canvas, Open in illy or corel or whatever and simply resize the art board.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
More than likely you have something corrupt in your file itself. Try exporting something incredibly basic and see if it works.

weyandsign

Check your drive for errors. You can use a program like crystal disk info. If you have anything other than ZERO for the raw value of "Reallocated sector count" or "uncorrectable error count" it means the drive is going bad and needs replaced.

netsol

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what "software is aging out" means but I appreciate the suggestion. I'll google it. I've tried pretty much everything I can see for exporting the file. I went step by step with the XP computer and the same exact steps on the Windows 7 one and still no joy. Something must be corrupted in the W7 computer that corrupts Corel when I install it fresh even. I print a lot of files over and over so I'm not disabled... just horribly inconvenienced. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Never thought a 20 year old XP computer would save the don

signmeup

More than likely you have something corrupt in your file itself. Try exporting something incredibly basic and see if it works.
I've tried that. A square won't work.

I can make any file I want on the XP computer and VW runs it fine. I just can't get the W7computer VW is installed on to accept a file made on that same W7 computer. Something in W7 is corrupting the Corel file I guess.

signmeup

Check your drive for errors. You can use a program like crystal disk info. If you have anything other than ZERO for the raw value of "Reallocated sector count" or "uncorrectable error count" it means the drive is going bad and needs replaced.
Thanks. I did that with the W7 CHKDSK utility. Took 8 hours! No change. This software "crystal disc" might do a better job? Also defragged the discs and did a "disc cleanup" Found 91Gig of crap... but still no joy.

Just fired up another old W7 computer with Corel X4 on it and it too makes Corel eps files VW can read.

Last edited:

weyandsign

CHKDSK doesn't tell you the SMART status of the drive. You need to read those 2 values I mentioned to know if the drive is going bad or not. Doesn't require any lengthy scanning.

signmeup

My money is on an incorrect setting in the eps export page that comes up and you quickly click OK.
Could be. I've tried very carefully to see anything different between the computers that work and the one that doesn't. I can't see anything.

This all worked perfectly just a few days ago. Maybe I should try a restore point to a couple of weeks ago?

signmeup

You can pull in a PDF, as long as it has the cut path set to the spot color, just like an EPS.
To expand the canvas, Open in illy or corel or whatever and simply resize the art board.
Well Dang! I had no idea I could cut a pdf! Thanks for that! I just made a pdf and VW accepted it and printed/cut it. I also made a jpg and it printed that too. It just won't cut an eps that was made on the same machine the VW is installed on. Just to be sure I just tried another eps attempt and it failed. VW won't finish RIPing it.

Resizing the page made no difference BTW.