• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel x4 home and student

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I found this today. I am a Mac person but do have Parallels on my computer so I could run Coreldraw to allow me to open/send corel files instead of AI/eps all the time

http://www.amazon.com/CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite-Home-Student/dp/tags-on-product/B001CEXR94

I have not found a great deal of info on this product. What is missing for such a low price? Limitations?

It does not mention anything about student only but lists it for home use. I would only use it for opening or saving corel files not designing. I have no intention of abandoning my favorite graphics software - Illustrator

WildWestDesigns

I think anything that says "student", "teacher", and/or "home" versions are going to be non-commercial usage. There might even be something like only can have one registered version on a computer at a time (I'm pretty sure Adobe has something to that effect on their discounted student copies).

smdgrfx

I use the home version at home for my swim team/kid projects. Swim team is non-profit and my wife is a teacher. I qualify for use at home. I can tell you that there is no difference. I run the commercial version at the shop. Even the Macros work - I tested it by installing a macro/cut program on my wife's laptop that works with X4. It worked. It says something at the top of the screen about non-commercial version, but it is a full version.

I bought it for $149 and the books for another $49 direct from Corel.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I use the home version at home for my swim team/kid projects. Swim team is non-profit and my wife is a teacher. I qualify for use at home. I can tell you that there is no difference. I run the commercial version at the shop. Even the Macros work - I tested it by installing a macro/cut program on my wife's laptop that works with X4. It worked. It says something at the top of the screen about non-commercial version, but it is a full version.

I bought it for $149 and the books for another $49 direct from Corel.

Only thing I would look out for is if it embedds something within the file itself. Something that if someone knew were to look that stamps the file as coming from a non-commercial copy versus a commercial copy. A hidden watermark if you will.

hookandbook

So how many versions of CorelDrawX4 are there? Student , Home , Commercial? Check this out

CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 Full Version "Brand New" ebay item 190509697098 $39.99

Only $39 and it says not upgrade not student, so does that mean commercial? I have emailed the seller to see if they know the diffrence. Same situation with X5 but $65.00. I use cutting master so I need to make sure its commercial before I get a copy.

Techman

Only thing I would look out for is if it embedds something within the file itself. Something that if someone knew were to look that stamps the file as coming from a non-commercial copy versus a commercial copy. A hidden watermark if you will.

Every file has exif id in it. All music, graphics, all documents contain an exif header.
This header tells you who made it, on what machine, the time, date and version of software, and who the software is registered too.

Any one can read those headers with an EXIF reader. It can also be removed.

signmeup

So how many versions of CorelDrawX4 are there? Student , Home , Commercial? Check this out

CorelDraw Graphics Suite X4 Full Version "Brand New" ebay item 190509697098 $39.99

Only $39 and it says not upgrade not student, so does that mean commercial? I have emailed the seller to see if they know the diffrence. Same situation with X5 but $65.00. I use cutting master so I need to make sure its commercial before I get a copy.
Yeah.... it means "stolen". That would be pirated software. I got duped back at Corel 12. The discs were even beautifully silk screened to exactly replicate the real thing. I got quite a surprise when I tried to register it with Corel. If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Every file has exif id in it. All music, graphics, all documents contain an exif header.
This header tells you who made it, on what machine, the time, date and version of software, and who the software is registered too.

Any one can read those headers with an EXIF reader. It can also be removed.

Are you sure about that? I have heard of exif info on image files from photoshop or a digital camera, but not for vectors or other file formats unless you manually add the info. I cannot find anything to confirm that claim

It could be useful I suppose

WildWestDesigns

Are you sure about that? I have heard of exif info on image files from photoshop or a digital camera, but not for vectors or other file formats unless you manually add the info. I cannot find anything to confirm that claim

It could be useful I suppose

I know for sure that they are in Font files. I've seen them on ones that I've created as well as used. They showed up when I was exporting from InDesign to PDF.

Although, I would be willing to bet that they is also a redundant copy that you won't be able to easily remove and if it isn't there now, it will be in future updates.

This reminds me of trying to convince the people that use off the shelf tuning for their vehicles that believe no trace is left behind when they remove the tuner and unhook the batteries to let all the power drain.

hookandbook

Yeah.... it means "stolen". That would be pirated software. I got duped back at Corel 12. The discs were even beautifully silk screened to exactly replicate the real thing. I got quite a surprise when I tried to register it with Corel. If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is.

This dude sells alot of these you think he would get busted by now.

Quoted from his feedback...

"Totally legitimate Corel X5, according to Corel, I couldn't be happier!!!"

signmeup

This dude sells alot of these you think he would get busted by now.

Quoted from his feedback...

"Totally legitimate Corel X5, according to Corel, I couldn't be happier!!!"
So he made his mother buy one and post a feed back. Give us a link so we can all get a hot deal.

signmeup

I looked up the site. The negative feedbacks are interesting. I also sent the link to Corel's anti piracy hotline (email) asking if it's legitimate software. I want a copy of X5 for 66 bucks if it's legit. :rolleyes: