• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cornhole Boards

danger

I print corn hole board wraps for a customer and he is having a reaction with the ink and the poly im not laminating these prints and the poly is sticking fine to where ever there is white im printing on ij40 on a hplatex 360 anyone have any problems with this ? or advice ?

CanuckSigns

if they are putting a poly overtop, i would recommend laminating, the surface of printed vinyl will be different between white and printed areas due to the ink sitting on top, a laminate will give you a nice uniform surface, plus make installation easier.

danger

if they are putting a poly overtop, i would recommend laminating, the surface of printed vinyl will be different between white and printed areas due to the ink sitting on top, a laminate will give you a nice uniform surface, plus make installation easier.
Issue is the added cost

CanuckSigns

I've never played cornhole, but the boards look to be about 2'x4', so an additional $2 per board to fix the issue you are having.

at the end of the day, the reason you are having issues is because a chemical in the poly is reacting with the ink, so you have 3 options:

1- separate the ink from the poly by using a laminate
2- find a different type/brand of clear coat to use that does not react with the ink
3- find a different ink type that doesn't react with the current poly

To me, the laminate option looks like the easiest, most hassle free option

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Issue is the added cost

What the heck ?? Is there an epidemic of non-use of laminate going around or is this industry just going to the frickin' dogs ??

That is two people within an hour of each other which cannot afford to do the job professionally.

Are there that many hacks joining this trade and cannot afford laminate or understand the issues of not using it ??

MikePro

I laminate all the graphics I coat with poly, corn hole boards included.
seems like a lot of work just to skip lamination & chance smearing your graphic and/or causing the product to fail entirely.

C

ColoPrinthead

We don't even poly our cornhole sets, just laminate with cast or acrylic and they hold up well.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why poly if you laminate? I have printed a bunch of these for a guy, laminate with 210 Gloss and he says they hold up wonderfully. And yeah, $2-3 per board with laminate does not break the bank.

TXFB.INS

:software

is there a supplier that sales blank cornholes ready for vinyl?

we have tried making them but the shop is too small and gets dust everywhen when cutting

Gino

Premium Subscriber
yup, there are 4 of them

Then, turn the knob on the door of your choice, carry some saw horses out, put the boards on them and do your cutting. Most of the dust will probably blow away, but dust them off before you come back in the shop with them. No mess in the shop, huh ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh..... and don't do it on a day when it's raining. Electrical cords outside in the rain are not very safe. Besides, the dust will cake up and be tougher to clean off.

petepaz

been doing these for years for a buddy and always laminate them. no issues and the small cost of the lam is not an issue.
i use oracal 3651 w/ 210 lam

danger

I've never played cornhole, but the boards look to be about 2'x4', so an additional $2 per board to fix the issue you are having.

at the end of the day, the reason you are having issues is because a chemical in the poly is reacting with the ink, so you have 3 options:

1- separate the ink from the poly by using a laminate
2- find a different type/brand of clear coat to use that does not react with the ink
3- find a different ink type that doesn't react with the current poly

To me, the laminate option looks like the easiest, most hassle free option
It's more then $2 a set when you're using 8518 and switching out lam you waste a foot or two so it is what it is

Last edited:

danger

What the heck ?? Is there an epidemic of non-use of laminate going around or is this industry just going to the frickin' dogs ??

That is two people within an hour of each other which cannot afford to do the job professionally.

Are there that many hacks joining this trade and cannot afford laminate or understand the issues of not using it ??
If you'd look up my joined date you'd see that i didn't just get into this trade this is how i was told it was being done and for the ebay "dog's" they are selling them at $30's a set and poly was pretty much in my eyes a liquid lam