• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corrugated Trailer - 1 color - Needing Advice

OPI_Matt

Graphic Artist, Sign Shop, & Vinyl/Wrap
Hi,
I'm needing some advice on a project I have for a client. They have a corrugated trailer that they want vinyl installed to the sides and rear. I've attach some photos of the trailer and layout of the vinyl. Not the best, but it's what I could get. The rear vinyl and lettering on the sides are easy for me to see how to do it. The problem is the large logo on the sides. I know to feed the vinyl in the corrugation, but it's pretty large (177x46"). Should I break it into parts and seam together? Or would that be problematic with the feeding?
Also, I feel like I should be be higher priced for this too, but this is my first trailer in this style of install. Like would $2000.00 be around the ballpark or no (1 color)?

I've done their red trailer with white, but that was flat and pretty straight forward.
Thank you all for your help!!!

Attachments

• 20230510_095837.jpg
    20230510_095837.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 352
  • 20230510_103440.jpg
    20230510_103440.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 185
  • 20230510_103537.jpg
    20230510_103537.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 199
  • 20230510_103516.jpg
    20230510_103516.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 208
  • 36ft Corrugated Trailer 1-20 Scale-01.jpg
    36ft Corrugated Trailer 1-20 Scale-01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 198

2B

break the logo up into pieces. each letter in the logo is installed separately. then overlay the "border", 4 separate strips.

$2000 is too low for this amount of Corrugation IMO
once you finish, you will have experience and will determine what you want for dealing with this much Corrugation

ProSignTN

You need to account for the total distance covered vertically and not just overall measurement. In the sample I've shown you will cover 4.18" of surface for every 4" of vertical measurement. In the sample the graphics would need to be 4.18 / 4.00 = 104.5% taller to look the same proportion. Start in the center and work you way up and down. If you don't account for the total surface area the logo will appear squished.

Attachments

• Corrugated Measurements - Sample.jpg
    Corrugated Measurements - Sample.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 167

JQUEST

JV33-160 + FC8600-160
Full disclosure... I haven't had to do this yet, but I did pull my hair out over a job that fell through and I think I have a pretty good grasp on my approach. ProSignTN is right on. If you don't account for the distance of the valleys your placements will be off or you will be stretching the vinyl into the recess creating failure points.

The easiest method I've seen for figuring out how to compensate for the extra material (assuming the corrugation is uniform) is to use a piece of painter's tape. Mark the center of two of the peaks in the corrugation. Measure that distance. Then apply the painter's tape to each point and into the valley of the corrugation. Mark the tape at the same high points. Remove the tape, lay flat, measure the length of the tape. You should be able to use that number to determine how much the art needs to be stretched.

If you backslit your material, you can start applying from the center out which should allow both ends to finish where they should. Otherwise I think you'd have to start at one end and that thought makes me anxious.
Edit: I noticed your pics show horizontal corrugation, not vertical like the one I was designing. So you would stretch and align vertically. I would start from the top down and as long as it's centered, I'd feel pretty good about applying it.

Like I said, the job I was going to do (a shipping container) didn't happen. So I'm eager to know what others think, and hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
  • First Place
Reactions: 2B

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Traditionally corrugated is always at least double the price for flat work +, depending.

OPI_Matt

Graphic Artist, Sign Shop, & Vinyl/Wrap
Thank you for the advice everyone!!! It helped a lot with getting it figured out in my head and little more understanding on pricing, too.
Also, ran into the client over the weekend and he said to just do the vinyl on the flat surfaces of the gooseneck and rear.