• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Critque?

SignManiac

Horrible font on your most recent design and the swoosh thing makes me think of barbed wire on the squint test. You really need to read some design books first or else you will keep missing the mark.

JKADesigns

Based on your initial post...
I have been taught to never use that color red with that shade of blue.
Contrast is your friend.
If you eliminated the red stuff completely, and just did jazzy Sign in white it would look a lot better.
But it's still a really ho-hum layout.
Jazzy to me is a fun word and needs a bit of bling (but not too much)
Love....Jill

Jill, whats your opinion on the latest layout? Thanks.

Jillbeans

I think it looks like you scrolled through some fonts to find the Jazziest one.
But that's not jazzy it's cheesy.
I think of barbed wire, too.
Try using two different fonts, one for each word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Circleville Signs

You're still not putting pencil to paper, you're going straight to the software and putting out your ideas that could have been weeded out by sketching. the design is covered a heavy coat of weak sauce. It shows.

I mean for the love of all that is unholy, am I just banging my head against a brick wall here?
http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90090

Yes - yea you are. Some people just refuse to respect the craft of design. They think buying software turns them into designers. And they won't listen when people try to help them, because they have a delusional idea that they are already designers - even though everything and everyone tells them they aren't.

Sad.

tsgstl

by all means this is just a draft
I just wanted to see what it looked like with a brass instrument feel

Attachments

• jazzy.jpg
    jazzy.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 82

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
First off, jazzy just means flashy or showy in nature ... means you are going to make signs that will graphically 'pop' ... you'll need to reflect that ... not reflect a jazz origin. second, you will need to make your logo better AND different than the one at http://www.jazzysigns.co.uk/ and lastly, literal is not always better, and just text with a little bit of crap added doesn't always make a successful logo. Find out the message you are trying to get across with your logo, and think of the demographic you are trying to target. Look too much like a logo a teenage with a pirated version of photoshop can do ... and you'll get the wrong demographic from marketing companies and people who are looking for a professional company.

Colin

anybody else care to comment?

Based on your two efforts, you should only be designing your own logo if you wish to communicate that you have no idea what you're doing, or you wish to go out of business ASAP. Why on earth would you not consider hiring someone who has good logo design skills to create the most important part of your overall presentation? Do you feel that the associated fee is a "cost"? If so, your thinking is backwards. A logo like what you've shown will cost you more money than you can possibly imagine, for it will not do it's intended job in making you look like a competent sign maker (which you aren't anyway), but will also not attract customers to your business. If you were to pay $500 or $1000 for a good logo, it will pay for itself in no time, and will not "cost" you anything. Think of it as an investment, which will pay off big-time.

Dave Drane

You can go to the supermarket with your wife and look at the labels on the goods. I have had inspiration for signwork just by looking at the breakfast cereal box on the table whilst eating breakfast??

kylebrk

you shouldnt be near any design software. im sorry. that has no business coming from a "professional" sign shop.

JKADesigns

Maybe it's called starting out on a shoestring? I'm getting plenty of orders and compliments on my logo... it can always be changed in the future to reflect my design skills. Not doing much beyond basic design work at this time for anyone anyway. Wall art and yard signs don't take much. There are two "professional" sign shops in my town, targeting demographics that don't go there anyway.

Colin

I'm getting plenty of orders and compliments on my logo... it can always be changed in the future to reflect my design skills. Not doing much beyond basic design work at this time for anyone anyway. Wall art and yard signs don't take much.

Attachments

• Face palm.jpg
    Face palm.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 97