• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cs5.5 is 10% off

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
There is a sale going on until June 3rd for 10% off and free shipping thru 5/31 when ordered at adobe.com. Call me old fashioned but I like to have a physical copy of my software

Usually CS software is updated every 18 months or so. I was afraid that if I waited too long for cs6 it would be even more expensive so time to bite the bullet. I currently use cs3.

WildWestDesigns

There is a sale going on until June 3rd for 10% off and free shipping thru 5/31 when ordered at adobe.com. Call me old fashioned but I like to have a physical copy of my software

Usually CS software is updated every 18 months or so. I was afraid that if I waited too long for cs6 it would be even more expensive so time to bite the bullet. I currently use cs3.

Did you ever get the Cintiq?

I'm in the process of doing cleaning around my desk, I'll try to send pictures of my setup. At one time I think you were interested in seeing the setup of those with the Cintiq.

phototec

Nothing NEW, waiting for 6.0 next year!

I'm not going to upgrade to 5.5, waiting for 6.0 next year!

The new features in 5.5 are mainly for video, mobile devices, smart phones and tablet integration, the real improvements for me as a print and vehicle wrap designer will not be released until 6.0.

What’s New in Illustrator CS5.5?
Q: Does CS5.5 include any updates to Adobe Illustrator?
A: Illustrator doesn’t. It’s already really awesome. :)

What’s New in Photoshop CS5.5?
Q: Are there any new features or fixes in Illustrator or Photoshop specifically in 5.5?
A: There are no new features for AI and PS. There is a FREE update from Photoshop CS5 to Photoshop CS5.1.

http://prodesigntools.com/whats-in-adobe-cs5-5-for-me.html#upgrades

:wavingflag:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
You are correct. there are no new features for Illustrator or Photoshop. The only reason I chose to upgrade was that I was overdue and did not want the next price jump to cs6 to be too high. After a certain point, there are no upgrade discounts if you wait too long between versions

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Did you ever get the Cintiq?

I'm in the process of doing cleaning around my desk, I'll try to send pictures of my setup. At one time I think you were interested in seeing the setup of those with the Cintiq.

No not yet. That is a large chunk of money. I have yet to determine if the value is there going from a tablet to the Cintiq. Maybe the price will go down in coming years as touch screens begin to become a bit more mainstream.

Someone else here has one that they are considering parting with. Either way it is more money than I want to put down

WildWestDesigns

I have yet to determine if the value is there going from a tablet to the Cintiq. Maybe the price will go down in coming years as touch screens begin to become a bit more mainstream.

I would think that for the way you do conversions it would be more efficient then just doing a regular tablet. I was quicker with my conversions when I went with the Cintiq versus the Inuos 3 that I had.

But you are right, it is a lot of scratch that's for sure.

phototec

You are correct. there are no new features for Illustrator or Photoshop. The only reason I chose to upgrade was that I was overdue and did not want the next price jump to cs6 to be too high. After a certain point, there are no upgrade discounts if you wait too long between versions

Ok, I thought you were using CS5, didn't realize you were still back on CS3.

CS3 to CS5.5 is not a bargin, think I would wait for CS6!

:rock-n-roll:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Ok, I thought you were using CS5, didn't realize you were still back on CS3.

CS3 to CS5.5 is not a bargin, think I would wait for CS6!

:rock-n-roll:

I disagree. Every version you wait, they charge you more to upgrade. Plus there are changes in cs4 and cs5 that I can use.

Remember too, that I am a "service provider". I receive newer versions of files as art and must be able to open them flawlessly. If it was not for that I could probably get by with version 8 or 10 of illustrator as basic vector tools have not changed that much

WildWestDesigns

I agree with Erik here. CS3 to CS4 came with a big set of improvements, so CS3 to CS5 would be an even bigger jump.

My mom would agree with the big jumps from CS3 to CS5 wtih regard to PS. She actually went with the Extended as well, even though she didn't have that in the first place. She got it through Amazon though and they said that you could upgrade from the regular to the extended, but I don't think you can, however, when she was having problems with the serial activation, she told the adobe tech what went on and they gave her a backdoor to get it all to work and she was able to upgrade to the Extended CS5 without paying any more.

Pretty coold deal for her.

John Butto

I upgraded from CS3 to the new CS5 creative suite design premium in March and they gave me the upgrade 5.5 for free last week. There are a lot of new features in the CS5 illustrator and photoshop that speed things up and it is worth the upgrade.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I just did the upgrade from CS2 Premium and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it included Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and several lesser applications that were not included with CS2 Premium. So far I'm still just exploring Photoshop but I'm in love with the Quick Selection Tool.

Having missed out on improvements to CS3 and CS4, would love to hear what I should focus on with each of the included apps that you found really cool.

Things must be slow at Adobe though. The dialogs said to expect 7 to 10 days until it shipped and instead it arrived 2 days after I placed my order.

petepaz

cs5.5..aaaahhhhh i just got cs5 about 3 months ago
so will i be able to open files from customers or designers that are created in cs5.5
that is a killer problem with illy and PS

petepaz

I upgraded from CS3 to the new CS5 creative suite design premium in March and they gave me the upgrade 5.5 for free last week. There are a lot of new features in the CS5 illustrator and photoshop that speed things up and it is worth the upgrade.

did you get the free upgrade from adobe?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
cs5.5..aaaahhhhh i just got cs5 about 3 months ago
so will i be able to open files from customers or designers that are created in cs5.5
that is a killer problem with illy and PS

Of the core programs, only Indesign will be an issue. Illustrator and Photoshop are still at v5. Only if you are designing for mobile phones and multimedia will you see any changes worth upgrading from 5 to 5.5

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
At over $900, the upgrade from CS3 Design Premium to CS5.5 Design Premium is very expensive. I remember when Adobe's upgrade prices were flat. I think they're getting a little too greedy with this new sliding scale. It's even worse than the last couple upgrade cycles. And their new $100 per month subscription plan is a joke, IMHO. You'll end up paying a lot more going that route than just buying a standard upgrade.

My current computer at home is on its last legs, so I'm probably going to end up being forced to upgrade my personal CS3 license to 5.5 pretty soon. I would prefer to wait for CS6, but CS3 apparently does not run under Windows 7 64-bit.

I just hope CS5.5 Design Premium has some reasonably decent bundled goodies (new fonts, clip art, filters, etc.) that add value to that high upgrade price. That's been one of the selling points for CorelDRAW for many years. It always had a LOT more in the way of fonts, clip art, photo images, etc. than Adobe has ever bundled in with their packages. Canvas was pretty impressive in that regard too, some upgrades had over 2000 URW++ fonts.

WildWestDesigns

My current computer at home is on its last legs, so I'm probably going to end up being forced to upgrade my personal CS3 license to 5.5 pretty soon. I would prefer to wait for CS6, but CS3 apparently does not run under Windows 7 64-bit.

Run it under XP compatibility mode first and see if you are able to hold out a little longer with CS3.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
My understanding is XP Compatibility mode will only work with certain computer systems and you must have Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise for it to work. I think it also involves running Virtual PC. Even if the work-around is successful in running CS3 it sounds like a real pain to set up and operate.

I think if my aging computer does give up its ghost I'll just add the $900 CS 5.5 cost to the rest of the bill -something that looks like it will be in the $2500-$3000 neighborhood.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I just did the upgrade from CS2 Premium and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it included Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and several lesser applications that were not included with CS2 Premium. So far I'm still just exploring Photoshop but I'm in love with the Quick Selection Tool.

Having missed out on improvements to CS3 and CS4, would love to hear what I should focus on with each of the included apps that you found really cool.

Things must be slow at Adobe though. The dialogs said to expect 7 to 10 days until it shipped and instead it arrived 2 days after I placed my order.

I REALLY like the interactive stroke width tool in illustrator. In the sample here, all 3 lines are the same line but 2 and 3 I adjusted the width of the stroke and it is fully editable for width with instant visual feedback. I could see this useful for creating cartoon like strokes

Attachments

• strokes.jpg
    strokes.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 60