• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CS5 blues

anotherdog

So in the last couple of months I have a few Adobe CS5 files sent to me, ask the customer to resend as CS4 no problem. I finally decide to bite the bullet and upgrade...

Adobe did it again! there is a lot of candy floss, new icons and starter screen, but where is the upgrade? What useful new features?

I am hardly surprised though. its not like this is the first time...or the last.

I'm betting CS6 by next year.
:frustrated:

genericname

Just the improvements to efficiency and stability of the program are enough to make it for me. They should've paid us to use CS4, mind you. Or rather, TRY to use it.

WildWestDesigns

Just the improvements to efficiency and stability of the program are enough to make it for me. They should've paid us to use CS4, mind you. Or rather, TRY to use it.

Now the only program out of the CS4 suite that I have is Ai and I haven't had a problem with that program. I plan on getting the entire CS5 suite though as I think my business has sufficient needs for it now.

artbot

i don't think it's very stable still. on files in the 6-11 gig range, it says that my scratch disk is full before i've even done a single thing to the file. and after closing will not relinquish the scratch disk space unless closing down. (photoshop cs5 64bit, win7 ultimate 64bit). and crashes at least twice a week.

Mason

You guys should learn how to use it.. You might find that more often than not its user error that causes the problems..

artbot

??? any constructive suggestions on how to get photoshop to manage my scratch disk (30 gig solid state + 300 sata) would be very helpful.

genericname

Now the only program out of the CS4 suite that I have is Ai and I haven't had a problem with that program.

That's really funny; Illustrator was the one out of the suite that gave me the most headaches. It's use of my system resources seemed to ramp up over time, to the point where it would just lock up my system. Add to that the fact that it would crash when trying to access random menus, and my jump to CS5 took no convincing at all.

All that considered, I still think their custom shell is a stupid idea. Why eat up precious system resources just to make your program look pretty? I thought we were over that nonsense in the Win98 era.

And Artbot... Do you have your 300gb SATA set up as the primary scratch disk? It could be hitting a wall as far as virtual memory is concerned if it's trying to write to your primary 30gb instead.

WildWestDesigns

That's really funny; Illustrator was the one out of the suite that gave me the most headaches. It's use of my system resources seemed to ramp up over time, to the point where it would just lock up my system. Add to that the fact that it would crash when trying to access random menus, and my jump to CS5 took no convincing at all.

All that considered, I still think their custom shell is a stupid idea. Why eat up precious system resources just to make your program look pretty? I thought we were over that nonsense in the Win98 era.

And Artbot... Do you have your 300gb SATA set up as the primary scratch disk? It could be hitting a wall as far as virtual memory is concerned if it's trying to write to your primary 30gb instead.

That is strange, I in fact only have the 14.0.0 software, never even got any updates. I don't really know if there were any to be honest. If it had eaten up my computer's resource I wouldn't be happy, especially a custom built computer.

artbot

@genericname

the 30gig solid state is a dedicated scratch (no files at all on the drive). it's set as the #1 primary. if i open up a file that is large (massive) i'll get the scratch disk warning for that disk before even doing a single action. of course working on 9 gig files and such i need the disk to do it's job. the other scratch drive is just open space on my main drive. is 30 too small? i've considered moving to a raid 0 with two 30 gig solid state drives dedicated to scratch disk.

one other suspicious thing... even after closing the file and shutting down photoshop, i'll many times see that the 30 is still full and has to have the files manually deleted.

genericname

In my experience, Adobe apps have never been too great at removing unused temp files.

Regarding the size of your scratch disk, it is possible that it's too small, yeah. The program may be attempting to reserve a certain amount of space either in anticipation of making changes to the file, or simply because a file that large needs that much room to move around, so to speak. Doesn't hurt to try switching the order of your scratch drives, just to diagnose. Give it a shot; I'd like to see what gets rid of the problem too!