• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Curve correction for windshields and curved surfaces..?

logotogogo

Hello- does anybody know the way to calculate or adjust for the curve of these types of things? All i remember is it is opposite the way you would think it to be. The graphic is NOT going on the window, so please don't tell me I need to change it. It is there to show you an attempt to correct for the curve...
Any help would be great thanks!
Ang

Attachments

• JdeflectorAsset 3@180x-8.png
    JdeflectorAsset 3@180x-8.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 114

CGSGuy

Take a piece of liner paper and lay it over the window...draw your lines the way you want them...and then use the drawn curves to pre-determine how your artwork is laid out. PRESTO!!!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Take a piece of liner paper and lay it over the window...draw your lines the way you want them...and then use the drawn curves to pre-determine how your artwork is laid out. PRESTO!!!
Exactly so. What you're trying to do is flatten the window into a two-dimensional object. The simplest way is to as CGSGuy suggests and make a paper template. Cover the widow with paper and then draw the outline of the window with a Sharpie or whatever. Remove the paper from the window and attach it to a flat surface. Position an object of known dimensions on the template, I prefer a 16x24 framing square but most anything will do, even a 3x3 post it. Try to put the reference object as near to square to the image of the window as possible. Take a picture of the template and reference object and import it into your software, whatever that might be. draw a rectangle around the reference object in the photo. Distort the photo such that the reference object fits into it exactly. Map the photo into the rectangle. Make the resulting object exactly the same size as the reference object. Unmap the photo from the rectangle. You now have a life-size image of the flattened window you can use to lay out the job.

This is one of those things that takes far longer to explain than to do. Despite all of the instructions it's a relatively simple thing to do.

damonCA21

Do you mean for making mock ups or for the actual decals? When you make the decals you make them straight. If you alter them to try and make them take the curve into account they will look correct when viewed straight on, but will look more and more distorted and wrong the more of an angle you view them at.