• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cut contours rather tears the vinyl!!

bulbus_maximus

Hi,

I am facing issues with the cutting in my machine (VP 540i). The cutting performs dots (more like a tear than a cut) and especially in the corners it is more pronounced (big dots at sharp corners). I have replaced the blade and the blade holder. Both did not work.

I am not finding the solution anywhere.:help Please suggest if you have come across anything like this and any solution would be great.

TIA
bulbus

Attachments

• Cutting corners not good 4-Note so many corners up.jpg
    Cutting corners not good 4-Note so many corners up.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Cutting corners not good 5-contour cut not smooth.jpg
    Cutting corners not good 5-contour cut not smooth.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Cutting corners not good 6.jpg
    Cutting corners not good 6.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 146

Mike_Koval

try a different offset...default is .250. perform a test cut, if the square is rounded, your offset is too low...if there are horns on the corners it is too high

NotAPrinter

Another solution...

In my limited experience, this can be caused by the cutting head moving faster than the swivel blade can adjust. Try slowing the speed of the cuthead.

Tony McD

....or the teflon cutting strip on the machine.
If you can see or feel a groove in it, that could cause skipping.

Gene@mpls

I think that this is part of having a drag-knife cutter, I have the problem
on my Gerber enVision and both Roland print/cut machines I have had.
It is worse on 'RA' (air release) and happens alot on regular vinyl. Rounding
sharp corners works.

deegrafix

I had that problem as well, and now cut at the slowest speed, which is still fast enough for me, and no more skipping.

Fatboy

I know you just changed the blade...just make sure they didn't sold you a bad blade. Happens when it falls.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
WOW, you went right for the new blade holder and blade....

tweaking my friend, tweaking.....

you must learn to tweak the machine, become it's friend, understand it's needs......

signmeup

I think that this is part of having a drag-knife cutter, I have the problem
on my Gerber enVision and both Roland print/cut machines I have had.
It is worse on 'RA' (air release) and happens alot on regular vinyl. Rounding
sharp corners works.
My cheap-a$$ drag knife plotter cuts great at the highest speed it has. I don't think a good brand name one would do worse. Maybe it has a "pounce" setting? Or like Fatboy said..... you got a new bad blade?

When did the trouble start? Right after you made some change or did something different?

bdannels

VersaWorks Quantity limit!

Hello:

ONLY gripe I have with VersaWorks is the Quantity limit. (250)

Surely there is someone (Roland) that can change this, it makes NO sense.
It will let me print 250 8 X 10's or 250 1" circles. It can't be a material length limit. We do lots of small decals in lots of 250, 500 and 1,000
Anytime I need samples I have to do another run with Cut marks etc.

If I get 15 prints across the sheet and 250 total would be 14 across on the last row, it will NOT even let me finish out the row?

How about a warning screen pop up " You have reach the maximum recommended Quantity limit Proceed at your own risk" Then change the Quantity.

Anyone here know where to go with this complaint so that it will not fall on deaf ears?

Surely I can't be the only one that is being driven crazy by this needless waste of time.

Thanks
Bill
AGI Solutions Inc.

all_things_art

I was having the same problem with certain media/lam combos mainly the cheaper thicker materials.On certain corners it seemed as if the blade ripped the vinyl and other corners it was like the blade would skip about a 16th an inch ,...believe it or not after playing with different pressure settings i found dropping the pressure ended up solving my cutting issue.
I find cutting material is almost like a guessing game.until you get use to the different materials, here's an example...I was afraid the blade wouldn't cut through the media so I started at a pressure of 168,it cut through but had that ripping problem so i kept increasing the pressure.I think i got up to 212 still had the problem. So i starting dropping it ,my magic number ended up be 143

Check your blade holder... may be worn out.
Change the blade ... may be broken or worn.
Change the Cut Strip ...may be worn from usage
If you're using a 45 degree blade - .250 setting...with a 60degree .500 setting
Check cut pressure...new blade setting is "around" 120 grams force depending on media and/or laminated media.
This should help you out.

bulbus_maximus

Thanks guys for your replies

I am still biting my nails and wondering what to do about it. I am sure people who do vinyl lettering should be getting perfect edges.

I am going for the option of smoothing the edges but surely this would be a short term solution. (but in all practicality would a general bystander looking at the work really perceive the difference?)

In any case, Roland should print & cut the way they say - the few technicians i know could only come up with blade and the holder problem. My machine is just 4 months and I have operated it only for around 100 hours on a cumulative basis. So maybe I should recheck with another new blade and work with offset and speed etc.

I was seeing in another thread regarding tuning the belt which runs the cutter mechanism, so let me see.

Will let you know if I find a solution. Is any of you doing industrial labels, maybe these would need perfect edges. What machine do you use for this?

AUTO-FX

a brand new oem blade holder and blade should have fixed it, but what about the cutter strip? Always been one of those three when cutting quality declines.Usually it's the bearings in the blade holder wearing out.

jfiscus

Rap Master
After the new blade, did you re-adjust your settings so that the pressure went back down to the starting point?

Did you blow out the blade holder with air?
How easily does the blade move in the holder "by hand"?
Last time I had this problem I believe I added a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil to the holder and worked it around by hand and some grit/junk came out.

I cut at 10cm/s and cut much better than I used to at faster speeds.