• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting coroplast

mark galoob

hey all thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give. here is project.

i need to make 500 4" x 3.5" square pieces of coro
and 500 4" by 4" square pieces of coro.

this is just regular yard sign coro. my staff is about to mutiny (hehe) as this is very laborous. we are using a coro cutter for the flutes and scissors for the cross piece. i have a rotary trimmer but im kind of afraid to destroy it as it was a 500.00 item. anybody have any ideas on how to make this an easier job...?

thanks in advance,
and if you want to know what we are doing with these, check out my website thegungirdle.com. i use the coro as the wrap around trigger guard.

mark galoob

trakers

Grimco charges per cut but we had a piece of PVC cut into small pieces for *way* cheaper than we could have done it ourselves. Give them a call.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I use a 3M photo frame mat board cutter for projects just like this. It works extremely well, and you can knock them out without any thinking because material is always positioned against a stop.

If it were me, I'd use the mat cutter for cutting longitudinal strips and then use a cutting board with a stop for cross-cuts.

JB

Attachments

• 650-1.jpg
    650-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 153

CMI

Someone else mentioned something from Keencut, but if you're doing a lot of Coro, foamboard, styrene, pvc, etc., I'd recommend this http://www.keencut.com/uk/products/cutter-bars/evolution.aspx It was the best equipment investment we ever made-we have two of them now, both long enough to cut a full 4'x8' sheet. I can even swap out the normal steel blade for ceramic blades and get much cleaner cuts on 3mm and 6mm pvc. We had our own tables, so buying just the cutter bar was around $1300 at the time.

Saw Trax

We have a great setup with a sheet clamp and pivoting knife for our panel saws. Below is a link to an older video we put together with a quick demo. The first material that is cut is .25" PVC. The printed piece is foamboard. The setup works perfect for coro as well. We designed the whole package as a one stop cutting solution - whether you are cutting acrylic, PVC, MDO, coro, dibond, gatorfoam and more. I even have an insert to vgroove ACM panels to create dimensional displays. Switching from the saw to the knife insert takes seconds.

http://sawtrax.com/video-knife-cutter-mid-fence

player

hey all thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give. here is project.

this is just regular yard sign coro. my staff is about to mutiny (hehe) as this is very laborous. we are using a coro cutter for the flutes and scissors for the cross piece. i have a rotary trimmer but im kind of afraid to destroy it as it was a 500.00 item. anybody have any ideas on how to make this an easier job...?

thanks in advance,
and if you want to know what we are doing with these, check out my website thegungirdle.com. i use the coro as the wrap around trigger guard.

mark galoob

If you make up simple stops (jig) it can't take that long...

CanuckSigns

thanks in advance,

mark galoob

i don't envy you, we have a stand up cutter with a knife and I still can't get coro to cut all exactly the same size when cutting with the flutes, there is always a slight deviation from each sheet to the next, depending where the flutes fall, but it doesn't look like your application requires you to be very accurate.

player

You don't want to use a saw blade because of all the plastic sawdust combined with the static.

I had a 52" Wysong electric hydraulic shear that cut corro like a dream.

Josh Klassen

We use The Fletcher FSC multi-substrate cutter for cutting against the flutes
and the corro claw for cutting along the flutes

Attachments

• FSC_withStand.jpg
    FSC_withStand.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Coro-Claw-4mm.jpg
    Coro-Claw-4mm.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 101

mark galoob

Really, cutting the fluted side is cake...it's processing them after that that is a real wear and tear on our hands. We are using scissors for that part. Will a roller cutter cut coro without ruining it?

mark galoob

wow the answer to my question was so simple...30.00 at staples i bought a paper chopper...this things makes mince meat out of it...

mark galoob

AF

You can blast those out quick with an Evolution, as mentioned above. There are little tricks, such us setting up stops, that make it go fast. The best advice is to cut a full sheet across the flutes into strips, then tape it back into a full sheet and do the second cut. No coro dust and the flutes are not smashed. Use the blade and not the roller, obviously.