• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting in to equal size sheets

JonMiller

Hi Gang,

Had a bit of a look around the forum but couldn't see anything.

I had a request from someone today regarding some decals/labels. They buy their labels in in A4 sheets, with 2 labels per sheet. (label covers whole area and has a single contour cut across the middle)
Which they can then run through their printer, overprinting with current dates/info etc

My question is how on Earth would I go about cutting decals in to perfect A4 size sheets?? if I have just printed off a sizeable run on a large format printer for example..

Kind Regards,

Jon

Mosh

Print a crop mark and trim them. If there are a bunch trim just two sides and have a print shop trim the last two on the press cutter they could cut
a pile at a shot.

JonMiller

Thanks guys.

Would perf cut A4 sheets be suitable for them to run through their office printer though..??

Yeh, I thought about doing it that way Mosh, then using a guillotine or such.
Just wanted to know if there were any more efficient and accurate ways and/or how others may go about it.

J Hill Designs

Thanks guys.

Would perf cut A4 sheets be suitable for them to run through their office printer though..??

Yeh, I thought about doing it that way Mosh, then using a guillotine or such.
Just wanted to know if there were any more efficient and accurate ways and/or how others may go about it.

do a test for them. if it works, viola. if not, break out the cutters

JonMiller

Hehe, indeed.

I haven't used the perf fucntion on my cutter yet so do not know what sort of finish it provides.
I cannot imagine it is too kind on blades though!

JonMiller

One problem 'solved', another one shows up..what sort of guillotine.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-...plies_Office_Equipment_ET&hash=item2a417a9ffc

Or one more like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Farnell-p...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item4184dd6297

I'm sure each has their strengths?? Or can anyone suggest what 'may' be more suitable for my needs from experience?
(will have a look on the forums too as did see a couple guillotine posts while searching for my initial question)

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you're buying an electrical/air guillotine, be sure your electrical is correct and adequate! Those machines sometimes are 3-phase.

Mosh

FYI, back 20-25 years ago I used to screen loads of decals. I had a local print shop cut my prints down on their guillotine...they
quit doing it after a year or so cause the decal material was gumming the blades in the
guillotine up...they were not very happy with me.

It was a big machine, I bet it cut 250-500 at a whack, 4"-6" tall stacks.

slopoke

You may want to find out what type of printer they are running these through as well, if they are using a laser printer it could melt the vinyl in the fuser unit, ink jet may not be able to absorb and will wipe off.

chartle

You may want to find out what type of printer they are running these through as well, if they are using a laser printer it could melt the vinyl in the fuser unit, ink jet may not be able to absorb and will wipe off.

Just about to post this question. I can't think of any printer besides the roland or mimaki type that I have that will print on the material they use.

Is there paper "decal" material in rolls. I've only seen the stuff Avery sells in, well for my area, 8.5 x 11 sheets.

25 or so years ago I used to work for a company that sold laser printers. These were companies that still were either using dot matrix or still typewriters.

The first thing we would ask is your letterhead laser ready? We had one that their letterhead had what could only be described as a puffy sticker. I warned them, first sheet it melted the graphic and smeared it all over the sheet. Luckily it didn't mess up the printer.

d fleming

I have a challenge 3 phase 30" cutter. Mosh is right, you can cut a big stack no problem and you have to clean the blade to keep adhesive off because it will build up.