• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

D750 Pro pausing when cutting

hcardwell93

I have a SummaSign D750 Pro that I used to run with an old Dell desktop running XP, connected with the parallel cable. I ordered a serial cable from Summa's web store and everything ran fine with it. The Dell started having hard drive issues so I plugged in an HP netbook running Windows 7. I bought a Keyspan USB to serial adapter and I have communication between the 2 devices.

The weirdness is that the plotter will zip through block letters and straight lines. When it comes to round objects or script fonts it will work at normal speed, then pause for 2-3 seconds, run fast, then pause again. It's like the plotter is only receiving curve information in small batches.

I am using WinPlot to send cut files to the plotter.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

Last edited:

Warmoth

Had a very similar issue with the same model.

The problem was the driver for the serial to usb cable. Found out I need to use an older driver than what Windows kept automatically installing. I had to trick it into using the older driver without updating it.

My USB is an old "Cables to Go" model. The driver I needed to make it run on windows 7, 8 and now 10 is "3.3.2.102". It kept loading "3.8.1.3". Not sure if this could apply to the same cable you have. Internally they may be all the same.

Warmoth

If you go to your "Device Manager" check under "Ports (COM & LPT)"

Mine reads as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)". Does yours match this? If it does, you may be able to fix it the way I did. Let me know.

hcardwell93

If you go to your "Device Manager" check under "Ports (COM & LPT)"

Mine reads as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)". Does yours match this? If it does, you may be able to fix it the way I did. Let me know.
Mine says Keyspan USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5)

Warmoth

Hmm. It could be a problem with the driver still. But I don't know about that specific cable you're using. Maybe do some research on the cables and see if there are known driver issues?

But before you do that, I'd try toying with the COM port settings. Specifically the Flow Control. (KEEP NOTE OF YOUR CURRENT SETTINGS TO FALL BACK ON)

Go to the device manager from before. Right click on the "Keyspan USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5)" > Properties > port settings.
I've got mine set to the following; 9600 bits / sec, 8 data bits, parity: none, stop bits: 1, flow control: Hardware.

Check that your Cutter in WinPlot is set to match. To do that, manually open WinPlot (don't send something to it from Corel/etc.)
Go to Design > Cutters > Setup Cutter. The flow control here is set to DTR/DSR, everything else is the same from the Device settings.

Those settings work for me. Even though the manual says to use "Stops bits: 2". Let me know how it goes.