• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dan inspired design

jkdbjj

Any ideas would be great. Negative or positive. This is my first attempt, and hopefully I can develop my own style after a while.
I have done wraps in the past, but not with much thought, at least in the way Dan and some others here approach design.

Flame

Sorry man that's not working too well. Definitely not anything like Dan's work. Start from scratch would be my suggestion. No offense bro, just what I would do from here. The yellow striple looks unnatural, the peppers looked slapped on, the logo is very weak, and if you want to go Dan A. style...then think retro, and this has no retro feel to it at all.

Just my $0.02 :)

jkdbjj

Sorry man that's not working too well. Definitely not anything like Dan's work. Start from scratch would be my suggestion. No offense bro, just what I would do from here. The yellow striple looks unnatural, the peppers looked slapped on, the logo is very weak, and if you want to go Dan A. style...then think retro, and this has no retro feel to it at all.

Just my $0.02 :)
The logo is already a part I have to use.

As for the other advice. I appreciate it.
I didn't mean Dan inspired in a retro sense. I only meant that I used an element from one of his designs. Just didn't want some people coming on and saying, they saw that part on another vehicle, why are you doing that.

Bottom line, the design doesn't work for you. Looks like a long road ahead until I can afford a designer. Thanks for the honesty...

jkdbjj

Well, I think if it is that bad. I will just take this post down. Find a way to charge the customer more for design, and hire a designer. To much stress for me.

Thanks anyway everyone...

Flame

Naw man, don't get stressed, just start over. Happens to every designer everywhere...they have this vision but can't seem to make it work on paper/computer. Sometimes you have to start over. Sometimes you have to start over 10 times. Doesn't mean you suck, just all part of the game. You know?

jkdbjj

Naw man, don't get stressed, just start over. Happens to every designer everywhere...they have this vision but can't seem to make it work on paper/computer. Sometimes you have to start over. Sometimes you have to start over 10 times. Doesn't mean you suck, just all part of the game. You know?
I agree man, it's just I actually thought it looked OK. I mean I have seen plenty worse than that.

However, it just appears what I see and others see are two different things. I don't know why I have this itch to get better at design, when I have so many other things to worry about. Anyway, I have mad respect for Dan's work, and I figured if I study enough, practice, study more, practice, get feedback etc.. Maybe one day I'll get there.

Mean time, I have customers that want wraps, and I am realizing I have to have design services available, but I guess I don't yet. That's the stressful part. Ya know...

SignProPlus-Chip

I'll be supremely blunt. If you're not a designer, then don't try to do design work.

Those of us that are good at what we do have spent years learning and honing our craft and spent even more time accumulating practical experience.

Now understand where this statement comes from and WHY.

You own a business engaged in the design and installation of signage and vehicle wraps. WHY, oh dear lord WHY, would you want to try and squeak through with no design experience and supply a CLIENT OF YOURS with ANYTHING that is sub par?

Also think of it from the clients perspective. They are paying good money for what amounts to branding their business...if you were in their shoes, would you want the bare minimum?

I know they all can't be winners, but every sign that leaves your shop, and every wrap that rolls out of your install bay is a reflection on you and your shops capabilities.

If you cannot design, then hire a designer and charge accordingly. Designing isn't just throwing info down on a canvas and arranging it so it fits. Utilizing professionals that know what they are doing is more efficient and makes you and your business look better. Trying to squeak by without the proper knowledge of design or the ability to implement it is a disservice to your clients and your business.

visual800

am I the only one that doesnt see anything?

quit trying to copy Dan or Joe or Deaton or any of those. If it aint your style stop trying to make it. We all have our own styles and even thous we try and break out of them they will come back thru.

Design takes time, do not rush it. One day when you least expect it you will come up with something incredible and then build on that

VolunteerSign

am I the only one that doesnt see anything?

quit trying to copy Dan or Joe or Deaton or any of those. If it aint your style stop trying to make it. We all have our own styles and even thous we try and break out of them they will come back thru.

Design takes time, do not rush it. One day when you least expect it you will come up with something incredible and then build on that

Must be a "Southern Thang" cause I don't see anything either lol.

SignManiac

I saw the original before it was removed and it needed some improvement, but if you are this easily frustrated and sensitive to your efforts, you would be best advised to find a competent designer instead. You will only torment yourself and your clients if you get this upset about it.

Takes years and years to get good at design if you are trying to learn on your own. It's not realistic to expect results overnight just because you look at examples of Dans work. He's been at it for a couple of years now I'm sure :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nor us Yankees.... I don't see a blasted thang, either.

Why does someone start a thread and then remove what they are discussing ??

I understand the OP in any of the threads which does this is somewhat embarrassed, but other than spelling corrections or a-d-d-i-n-g more information, this seems counter-productive. It would only make sense if the OP had questions..... he/she would get a better response from seeing what is being talked about, rather then a dead thread like this has become.