• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with "incorporated"

3Dsigns

What are some of the creative ways you have dealt with the words "INC" or "Incorporated" in your signs? Especially when it's causing a problem in your layout. Thanks! :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ignore it and talk the customer out of using it. None of that stuff is needed on a sign, truck body or any other signwork. It's only needed on legal documents, like quotes, invoices, letterheads and things having nothing to do with advertisements.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
In a case like this, I like to draw inspiration from 19th century signage. Typically, the INC was underlined and placed as a small superscript just after the name.

JB

netsol

Ignore it and talk the customer out of using it. None of that stuff is needed on a sign, truck body or any other signwork. It's only needed on legal documents, like quotes, invoices, letterheads and things having nothing to do with advertisements.
it might be needed on a truck body, isn't displaying legal name a requirement on truck doors (i believe it is in NJ, but, we get everything wrong)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not anywhere I've done business. Do you answer the phone..... Hello, this is ABC Company and Distributors and Fabricators..... INC ??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
No, not anywhere I've done business. Do you answer the phone..... Hello, this is ABC Company and Distributors and Fabricators..... INC ??

C'mon Gino, don't be a Schlemiel. Yes, it does get used.

For the uninitiated:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Soooo....... as you can clearly see now, no one uses it, except for schmucks....... profit or non-profit..

gnubler

I send them to voicemail. Annoying ass people always calling and wanting something.
Yeah, and then they send a slew of texts when you don't answer. Causes me major anxiety when I'm in the middle of a task and can't answer.

I have some customers who insist they must have the Inc or LLC with their name or logo, so I just 'incorporate' it into the design. I'm not clear on the laws so I just do what they ask for. Personally I never use LLC in my own business branding.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The people who use, LLC, Corp., INC. and so forth are just trying to show off they spent the extra money to do this and wanna get their money's worth.

There are many ways to get it on there and hopefully won't ruin a good layout/design.

* Like he said, make it as small without p!ssing them off
* Turn the letters on their side and run them sideways behind the last letter
* Arch the bottom word and tuck in in under that word, but again, much smaller
* Just make sure you make a sample without it and show them how in doesn't interfere and crummies up the layout

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I agree things like "INC" and "LLC" are pretty corny to include in a logo or sign layout. I can't think of any national retail business, restaurant chain, etc that includes that nonsense in their logo. Nike, Inc. doesn't stick their legal "Inc." junk into their Swoosh icon. Any major business typically tries to strip away as much extraneous stuff as they can off of their brand.

Another thing I really don't like in most sign layouts: phone numbers. They're usually a waste of valuable layout space. They're instantly forgettable unless someone wants to write it down on paper after seeing it on a sign. No one is doing that while driving a vehicle. But they don't have to either. Pretty much all of us have smart phones these days. We can literally ask our phones to call that business without typing in a number. There are exceptions, such as a real estate/construction site sign where two or more phone numbers and agent/broker names are listed. But that's different from a primary street sign or building sign for a business. I think phone numbers on the main signs for a business make that business look more small time. National companies rarely put that kind of junk on their signs.

JBurton

Signtologist
The people who use, LLC, Corp., INC. and so forth are just trying to show off they spent the extra money to do this and wanna get their money's worth.
Haven't you seen all of the Mcdonalds corp signage? They have some odd spellings, like 'drive thru', 'restaurant', 'over 99 billion served', etc.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
My logo has LLC in it, now I'm all self conscious and shit. Gonna go sit in the corner and plan my pity party.
Can I at least keep the follow me on social media icons on my logo? I would really miss all those people.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Gotta love it when people want to stick social media logos inside their company "logo." It's like those Russian Matryoshka stacking dolls.