• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DeWalt Cordless Heat Gun

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This thing is pretty great.

It's obviously not for everything, but for other things, it's perfect.

Case in point, I had to remove quite a bit of 1" vinyl lettering and replace with new today. I tried getting it off with a fingernail first and it would remove somewhat easily, but every piece was leaving adhesive and breaking. Got the heat gun after it and made short work of it. No more residue and pretty much every letter would come off quickly and in one piece. I went through two of the smaller 2.0ah batteries which isn't bad at all considering how long it was on for.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I got one a few days ago and it's ok. It doesn't blow very hard but heats up quickly. Mixed reviews, but I haven't used it a lot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a Wagner for the really hefty projects and about 4 old used hair dryers for normal use like your name plates, there. None are cordless.

Can't really remember ever having to change those kinda signs out in the field on the spot. Customers either bring them in or we pick them up, if there's a lot of them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like it could be useful. I was setting some heat shrink on tail light wiring under a box truck today using a torch.
Heater gun would have been less scary and most likely safer but was too far from power.

Can't wait for Moze to show us his Dewalt Cordless Espresso Machine. He buys all the nice stuff.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks like it could be useful. I was setting some heat shrink on tail light wiring under a box truck today using a torch.
Heater gun would have been less scary and most likely safer but was too far from power.

Can't wait for Moze to show us his Dewalt Cordless Espresso Machine. He buys all the nice stuff.

Yeah, Makita has one but they're about the only one, I believe. The day DeWalt comes out with out, I'll get it.

Johnny Best

I use to always carry sterno with me years ago to heat up gelatin capsules size for doing glass gold. Had a small camping percolator coffee maker that I kept in my car and put water and coffee in and heat it over the sterno flame and that was the best coffee, took about 10-15 minutes to heat up to make coffee.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
91% Isopropyl rubbing Alcohol from Walmart to remove adhesive after removal of vinyl. Cheap and fast.

There are much better products out there that remove adhesive than rubbing alcohol. I only use that stuff if I'm in a pinch and don't have remover on me... it requires more effort.

I have been in this business for 30 years, yes every job has its own requirements.
The alcohol has been our best friend on this type of issue, big and small. Yes the heat gun is a big help, I was just trying to put in my 2. If you guys have a better idea, by all means get after it.

Johnny Best

Use to do a building with that Clarke system snap track system. Use to put a straight edge razor in a holder and dull both sides with 320 sandpaper and round the edges with a file. Lay the razor with holder down on panel at about 30 degrees and scrape off the letters. take a small rag with citrus glueoff and wipe off adhesive, spray with Sprayway glass cleaner and install new vinyl copy.
Out of the hundreds I did over the years I maybe scratched one.
The heat gun looks like a good idea but do not like picking letters.

rjssigns

I used my ancient propane fired Coleman Focus 3 yesterday. Small strip and install job outdoors in 40 degree F weather and windy. Worked a treat.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have an electric Wagner heat gun. Got a work out yesterday and I have a blister on the top of two of my fingers from the vinyl heating up and pulling it off. After that I put some gloves on LOL