• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dibond Box signs

TopFliteGraphics

One of my customers sent me this to quote with no detail. I have a few ideas on how to build it but I figured I would ask the group what you would do to make these. I make something similar for another client using 1/2" PVC but they are calling for 3mm dibond boxes.

Let me know your ideas. Thanks, Gary

pulte model ID samples.jpg

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We would make this out of alum tube and solid alum sheeting. Like a post and panel sign. I assume they are meaning to score cut ACM to bend it and make a “box”. If you are familiar with making them out of PVC, I would just do that. Don’t let customers dictate your processes. You won’t make any money that way.

Billct2

Since these are "temp" signs I would suggest whatever method is most economical and that you are used to.
But I personally wouldn't use PVC. Probably use .063 aluminum which we would bend in our brake.

We've made several of these with 3mm aluminum composite. Do you have the means to make a v groove on these? I'd recommend using one that has a 0.3mm aluminum face so that it doesn't crack when its bent. Usually we v groove cut it on the folds and fold it around some 4x4 posts in the ground. We set the posts first and then measure. This one may be small enough you could fold it all the way around.

tulsagraphics

We would make this out of alum tube and solid alum sheeting. Like a post and panel sign. I assume they are meaning to score cut ACM to bend it and make a “box”. If you are familiar with making them out of PVC, I would just do that. Don’t let customers dictate your processes. You won’t make any money that way.
^ Exactly this. When customers give you a complete breakdown of materials and such... they're basically trying to keep you from marking things up... and ultimately trying to make you negotiate your own labor costs. It's insulting, really.
If I were you, I'd just quote these guys using your own fab methods (non-itemized), and if they don't like it... they can spend their days trying to find someone willing to work for minimum wage (or less). Trust me, in 30 years, I've dealt with a sh*t ton of cheap azzhats like this.

TopFliteGraphics

That
I would male a 3x3 alumminum post frame and skin the faces with .040 or .063 aluminum and paint as shown, no need to wrap aluminum around edges since post would be alumnium....all this wood and dibond material is BS
That is basically what I was leaning towards with 4x4 aluminum posts since they want the signs to be approximately 4-1/2" deep. easy peasy

JBurton

Signtologist
I would male a 3x3 alumminum post frame and skin the faces with .040 or .063 aluminum and paint as shown, no need to wrap aluminum around edges since post would be alumnium....all this wood and dibond material is BS
I'd probably go for .090 to skimp on the bottom frame side, and glue it with some Lords. I'd also be tempted to just wrap the whole thing and skip the paint booth.

monroesigns

^ Exactly this. When customers give you a complete breakdown of materials and such... they're basically trying to keep you from marking things up... and ultimately trying to make you negotiate your own labor costs. It's insulting, really.
If I were you, I'd just quote these guys using your own fab methods (non-itemized), and if they don't like it... they can spend their days trying to find someone willing to work for minimum wage (or less). Trust me, in 30 years, I've dealt with a sh*t ton of cheap azzhats like this.
Or they got this material list and drawing from another sign shop and are shopping around for a better price.

Johnny Best

50 years ago they woułd say, wełd some angle iron together and brake some 24 ga paint grip steel and attach it. Then paint it. Fołłow the drawings and geterdone.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
No way. They have staff architects, site planners, engineers and marketing on the payroll. They all are involved in designing these PUDs. It's well within reason that they would include signage design the same as they spec specific mailbox posts and light poles. They want things a certain way so they spell it out to ensure they get exactly what they envisioned. Basic branding.

gnubler

^^ I worked with a builder who spec'd out all their signage wants for the development. I said NO to the light pole banners after I went and checked out the poles in real life, they were tapered and swayed way too much for a 6 foot vertical banner. The customer sent me all the mockups and they weren't even to scale.

Brandon708

Based on the measurements. It would seem that they are V grooved ACM signs then screwed to wooden posts. Looks like you can get three of the signs out of a 4x8 sheet with each sign using a 48"x32" panel. I can see that they would make these with V grooves going vertical and then bending them and screwing them to the posts. Probably not the best way as ACM isn't very strong. I would suggest using something like .080 or .063 and aluminum angle with Lord Adhesive to make them. or 6mm ACM.

JBurton

Signtologist
Looks like you can get three of the signs out of a 4x8 sheet with each sign using a 48"x32" panel.
Actually, with that depth of 4.5", you'll be needing panels at 24.5x34.25, so unless they're aiming for oversized sheets, they'll be restricted to 3 per 4x8. Also you have the width of the tool to contend with...