• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Print Material for Garage Doors

heyskull

I have some large garage doors that are steel with a textured pvc facing that want some contour cut vinyl prints applied to them.
What would the mprint media you would use for this type of job?
The reason I am asking is what has been used before has not adhered very well especially at the points were the ddors join.

SC

Stacey K

I like making signs
Maybe a high tack vinyl like Convex brand? I haven't used it in a while but when I did, it worked very well. I believe they can send you some free samples.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have used cast high tack for that pebble textured stuff before. Use a rollepro and heat gun to work it into the texture.

heyskull

This has more of a leatherette effect than a pebble texture almost like building steel cladding.

SC

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
You could do the adhesive backed aluminum products....Continental Grafix has a thin and smooth version for applications just like this. The other good solution would be Drytac's Polar Grip....it is a polymeric perm adhesive vinyl....high tack and high coat-weight to stick to odd surfaces like this. They make it with and without air-egress....for this I'd recommend without so you get as much adhesive on the door as possible.

heyskull

I have previously used Avery MPI 2800 on these doors and after 3-4 years it looked as good as the day we fitted it.
We replaced these prints just before Christmas with the same Avery MPI 2800 and it is all ligfting on the edges and joins.

I have since found out that Avery have changed the adhesive from a Solvent based to an Acrylic Water based adhesive.
This swap of adhesives I think is the issue.

SC

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some things never change while others are always trying to stay ahead of something.

heyskull

Many years ago we dealt with a company in Italy that made a banner vinyl that was perfect to graphic up Curtain side wagons.
After using this very successfully for a number of years the company that was selling this launched a new truck vinyl which was made specifically for curtain sided wagons but at more than double the cost.
When I ordered the usual banner material and used it on a curtain side, it failed within a week!
They insisted that nothing had been changed and I should have used the Truck vinyl.
When you compared the two banner vinyls of which I had a piece of the older type they where definitley not the same material.
They had rebranded the old banner material and upped the cost.

SC