• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Printing on translucent white substrates.

Vinyl Monkeys

I am currently using 3M™ 40C-114R Clear with 8519 overlaminate for my translucent faces. I Have one sign that I know of with issues and it seems to be the side that gets the most sun. it causes pockets of bubbles. Does anyone have a better solution or what product works best for polycarbonate backlit faces? What does everyone else use? Using latex 335

Attachments

• 20240201_064959.jpg
    20240201_064959.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • 20240201_065003.jpg
    20240201_065003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20240201_065007.jpg
    20240201_065007.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • Resized_2.jpg
    Resized_2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
Big fan of arlon 4500G CLEAR (ya gotta make sure it's spec'd as such, they make a translucent clear as well) for anything without an exposed edge, as it tends to shrink, paired with arlon 3420 satin laminate. Only potential problem is that this product has no air egress, it will need to be laid well or laid wet...

Vinyl Monkeys

In the past I have printed on 3m 8519 with 8518 overlam. I just thought this would be a great way so it can be dry install. Only have noticed one sign with issue. Have replaced twice.

Vinyl Monkeys

Big fan of Arlon 4500G CLEAR (ya got to make sure it's spec'd as such, they make a translucent clear as well) for anything without an exposed edge, as it tends to shrink, paired with arlon 3420 satin laminate. Only potential problem is that this product has no air egress, it will need to be laid well or laid wet...
Do you think satin lam is better or go with gloss for better uv protection I meant to say I am using 8518lam. crazy how I have only had problem with one sign that I have done for this company. started to think it was something else. I told them to send me pictures of it when they take the face out.

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
We have experienced similar with polycarbonate faces in the past. There was moisture trapped in the poly and when heated up caused the vinyl to bubble. We had a whole batch of this poly we had to "bake out" in the sun for a few days before vinyl could be applied.

signheremd

Polycarbonate needs to off gas for 24-48 hours before you apply vinyl. Both DChorbowski and weyandsign are right. There is another similar thread from last year with lots of information, just look up bubbling vinyl on translucent faces.

Vinyl Monkeys

We have experienced similar with polycarbonate faces in the past. There was moisture trapped in the poly and when heated up caused the vinyl to bubble. We had a whole batch of this poly we had to "bake out" in the sun for a few days before vinyl could be applied.
What brand of vinyl do you guys use for prints?

Signarama Jockey

Polycarbonate needs to off gas for 24-48 hours before you apply vinyl. Both DChorbowski and weyandsign are right. There is another similar thread from last year with lots of information, just look up bubbling vinyl on translucent faces.
Wow, that's good info. I didn't know that. Just Polycarb?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Does that 3M vinyl have air release? We have found that you cannot use air release vinyl on polycarbonate for exterior signs. You will get numerous bubbles.

JBurton

Signtologist
Does that 3M vinyl have air release? We have found that you cannot use air release vinyl on polycarbonate for exterior signs. You will get numerous bubbles.
It does, and I suspected that to be part of the problem here.
Do you think satin lam is better or go with gloss for better uv protection I meant to say I am using 8518lam. crazy how I have only had problem with one sign that I have done for this company. started to think it was something else. I told them to send me pictures of it when they take the face out.
The satin is just what we stock, since it hides any issues with debris or silvering in the laminate, at least better than gloss will. They make it in a gloss and matte as well.
For anything with an exposed edge though, 6000rp and 3270 are their cast options.

Vinyl Monkeys

It does, and I suspected that to be part of the problem here.

The satin is just what we stock, since it hides any issues with debris or silvering in the laminate, at least better than gloss will. They make it in a gloss and matte as well.
For anything with an exposed edge though, 6000rp and 3270 are their cast options.
8500G Clear is not latex friendly unfortunately

Vinyl Monkeys

3M™ 40C-114R Clear I have never had a problem with it but this one sign out of probably 20 so far. I am hoping this is just this sign but why? I just want something that works and will last up to 7yrs that doesn't cost a hearing lawsuit.

Vinyl Monkeys

4500G Clear most definitely is...
Wild, not finding any info on latex in my quick search. Rest assured, I've printed something like 100 rolls of this stuff on my hp 560 and the old l25500.
i was looking at this morning and it said in Asterix. that it is not but now it just not show

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 145313.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 145313.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 41

Vinyl Monkeys

says its not compatible in clear though but man! If you never have had problems.... What about 4600rp clear?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 153026.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 153026.png
    3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2024-02-28 153011.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 153011.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 41