• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digitech and colex conveyor system

parrott

Have had our Digitech LTX3 for about 3.5 years and could not be happier. We bought a second colex last year and had it built for the Digitech>colex conveyor auto cut/finish system but have not invested in the additional conveyors required. Was looking to get real world experiences on it. It looks incredible and could really help us on saving labor. Being a small shop we continuously look for that edge where we can reduce labor while increasing throughput. Everything is moving to full automation and digitech is clearly leading the way. I trust their system and process but want to know if it is worth the additional investment. Everything they have done has been top notch so there is not much reservation but want to do my due diligence.

On a side note; we just had our first break down in 3.5 years and over 3.5 million square feet! We had a cable go out on the z axis that was pinched and eventually shorted out from traveling up and down. They over nighted the parts and zoom called us on a Saturday to get us back up running. Can’t say I know of another company that will have techs working with you on a weekend (with or without a service contract). This machine and company continues to blow my damn mind.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
How do you like the Colex? Looking at something to upgrade my Summa now.

What aspect are you looking to upgrade?

Most flatbed cutters do the same job. only difference is how it interacts with the tools, and the router of course.

I've seen the summa, went for an all day demo.
But i bought the colex.

Summa has some nice to haves like when putting tools in, it knows what tool you have. has auto calibration for the tools and stuff like that.
Colex does not. you need to tell it what tool it has, the calibration is more simple but not fully automated.

But the colex is far far more robust, way faster, and routing with it is really good.

IMO summas only advantage is it's a little more dummy proof.
And the ability to pair it up with an S2 / S3 roll cutter for the twin workflow. if you're doing heap of kiss cut stickers, then that pair is unbeatable.

CMYKprnt

Have had our Digitech LTX3 for about 3.5 years and could not be happier. We bought a second colex last year and had it built for the Digitech>colex conveyor auto cut/finish system but have not invested in the additional conveyors required. Was looking to get real world experiences on it. It looks incredible and could really help us on saving labor. Being a small shop we continuously look for that edge where we can reduce labor while increasing throughput. Everything is moving to full automation and digitech is clearly leading the way. I trust their system and process but want to know if it is worth the additional investment. Everything they have done has been top notch so there is not much reservation but want to do my due diligence.

On a side note; we just had our first break down in 3.5 years and over 3.5 million square feet! We had a cable go out on the z axis that was pinched and eventually shorted out from traveling up and down. They over nighted the parts and zoom called us on a Saturday to get us back up running. Can’t say I know of another company that will have techs working with you on a weekend (with or without a service contract). This machine and company continues to blow my damn mind.
We have 4 DIgitech LTX3 printers and one of those printers is hooked up tot he Colex cutter. My pressmen love it for small jobs and long runs. It keeps to jobs in order so packing is a breeze and I highly recommend. We are currently in the middle of adding another set of conveyor tables to our second machine but this will be hooked up to a Zund cutter rather than a Colex cutter. If you want to know more shoot me a DM and we can talk. We love our Digitech printers. Problem free, great quality.

Last edited:

ProColorGraphics

What aspect are you looking to upgrade?

Most flatbed cutters do the same job. only difference is how it interacts with the tools, and the router of course.

I've seen the summa, went for an all day demo.
But i bought the colex.

Summa has some nice to haves like when putting tools in, it knows what tool you have. has auto calibration for the tools and stuff like that.
Colex does not. you need to tell it what tool it has, the calibration is more simple but not fully automated.

But the colex is far far more robust, way faster, and routing with it is really good.

IMO summas only advantage is it's a little more dummy proof.
And the ability to pair it up with an S2 / S3 roll cutter for the twin workflow. if you're doing heap of kiss cut stickers, then that pair is unbeatable.
The hard part for me to want to spend the money is that I am one man shop, and so far, the Summa has done everything I need it to. I have even got it set so that I get nice edge finishes on acrylic too. I have made a few modifications to help a little. Having a bigger bed size would be nice at time, but it hasn't kept me from being able to complete any jobs I have had so far.

My tools/equipment are my "toys". haha. I have also looked at the new Cutworkx mag drive model. I do like that they have an auto tool changer for router bits on theirs.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is there a primary product or material that you all use these flatbed cutters for with and without the autoloaders? What sorts of things are these not good with?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The hard part for me to want to spend the money is that I am one man shop, and so far, the Summa has done everything I need it to. I have even got it set so that I get nice edge finishes on acrylic too. I have made a few modifications to help a little. Having a bigger bed size would be nice at time, but it hasn't kept me from being able to complete any jobs I have had so far.

My tools/equipment are my "toys". haha. I have also looked at the new Cutworkx mag drive model. I do like that they have an auto tool changer for router bits on theirs.

Nice to haves rather than a need to have. If your summa isn't bottlenecked, there's no real point in upgrading. save your money.
focus on removing bottlenecks rather than buying stuff :p