• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do not even consider a FASTSIGNS franchise!!!!

fmg

Just out of curiosity and keeping withing the franchise theme.What coffee do ya'll like in the day? I prefer Starbucks.

Billct2

There's a point at which running a sign shop is more about running a business (no matter what you're actually selling or servicing) that it is about making signs.
Absolutley true, but not where most people who cash in their 401K and life savings to buy a sign franchise are starting at. They are starting at the point of being a one or two, maybe three person shop, where knowledge of the materials, applications and installations cannot yet be delegated to a subordinate.

threeputt

Cdiesel is right on. Was just about to make the same point.

Doesn't matter if you're selling signs or coffee. If you're going to be successful you must have a valid business model, stick to it, and plan, plan, plan.

Doesn't surprise me a bit that some FS owner's haven't made signs. (as the OP states) H*ll, you can hire signmaking talent. Administrative talent is also required....very important.

To get ahead, and more importantly, stay ahead you need sound business practices. Continually review what you do, how you do it, and why you do it.

Pat Whatley

Absolutley true, but not where most people who cash in their 401K and life savings to buy a sign franchise are starting at. They are starting at the point of being a one or two, maybe three person shop, where knowledge of the materials, applications and installations cannot yet be delegated to a subordinate.
I haven't actually seen a full sign franchise operating manual but I'm willing to be they are like most other franchises....you're not buying a business as much as you're buying a system. The system and very little training will give you enough of a basic knowledge to get started, anything else can be handled through a knowledge center.

Think about it....most shops could write a 20 page manual that would explain all of their common materials, how and when to use them, where to buy them and how to store them. It would also explain how to produce a majority of the work that's produced in the shop. Add in standardized equipment and pricing/sales software and you've effectively given a new employee everything he needs to do 90% of the work most shops do. In a small shop that other 10% is where the grizzled old veteran comes into play....in a franchise system the knowledge base of other franchise owners (or web forums like this one) take care of it.