• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you charge extra for boats installs in the water?

Kottwitz-Graphics

I just went and looked at a couple of boats that need relettered, which means I have to pull the old vinyl off, and reinstall the new vinyl. The problem is the boats are both in the water. Both are too large to remove to dry dock. One boat has a small side deck with a rail, so I would have to work to fall over board. The other boat, and alum bodied boat, has a narrower side deck, and no rail.

I talked to the customer, and they said that they can move to side dock, or supply a skiff to work out of.

I know what I am going to charge for the material, and the removal, but should I charge an upcharge for the boat being in the water?

Techman

Standing on your head to install boat graphics is not fun at all. Standing in a bobbing skiff is equally distressing. I used to charge double install for that. One time we had bull sharks in the bayou which added an extra dimension to the stress. So standing in the water was not an option.

Cleaning the surface is difficult and will take a few extra attempts to get it all just right. It may look clean but it ain't. Water contaminants, wax, marine life, oil, etc. all add cleaning challenges.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yep definitely an up charge - it will take longer from a skiff or off the dock.
Bring extra hand tools - the water here was clear enough so that I could watch my 3M gold block sink all the way to the bottom....

wayne k
guam usa

Sidney

Yes, to upcharge

Yes, to an extra charge. I definitely charge more for brick vs sheet rock installs....let alone being in water and trying to install on a moving target:)

rjssigns

It takes quite a bit longer working from a dinghy or launch, so I charge the same hourly rate. I have to travel to get to them so that works in my favor too. I've never been disappointed with the money I've made.

One thing I've learned when working on boats is bring a complete change of clothing. Shoes, socks...everything.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It takes quite a bit longer working from a dinghy or launch, so I charge the same hourly rate. I have to travel to get to them so that works in my favor too. I've never been disappointed with the money I've made.

One thing I've learned when working on boats is bring a complete change of clothing. Shoes, socks...everything.

This..... and make sure to lock your wallet and phone in your truck...... But yeah I charge a good bit extra for in water installs.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Never thought about a change of clothes...that makes sense.

Yep definitely an up charge - it will take longer from a skiff or off the dock.
Bring extra hand tools - the water here was clear enough so that I could watch my 3M gold block sink all the way to the bottom....

wayne k
guam usa

The advantage is this is the Chester River, so when I drop my favorite squeegee, I won't see it laying on the bottom, taunting me. It will disappear from sight about 6" down...

Billct2

Shoulda tried handlettering boats in the water, now that was a trying day...and got charged accordingly

Billct2

Quick story...I was lettering a brand new 38' sportfisher and before I was done they had to put it in the water. After they dropped it in and tied it up I went back to work laening over the transom to finish the shading. Understandably I was pretty focused on my work but realized me feet were getting wet....I stood up and looked around to see water pouring from the hatch to below deck. I ran and got the yard guys who quickly slung it and were barely able to lift it slowly out. Someone had left a seacock open...if I hadn't been lettering it it would've ended up on the bottom.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Quick story...I was lettering a brand new 38' sportfisher and before I was done they had to put it in the water. After they dropped it in and tied it up I went back to work laening over the transom to finish the shading. Understandably I was pretty focused on my work but realized me feet were getting wet....I stood up and looked around to see water pouring from the hatch to below deck. I ran and got the yard guys who quickly slung it and were barely able to lift it slowly out. Someone had left a seacock open...if I hadn't been lettering it it would've ended up on the bottom.

bet they didn't tip you....

Speedsterbeast

For sure charge extra, but do not accept a job to try and put stripes on while the boat is floating. Calm water or not.Not worth it