• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does a UV print is a better quality than latex or solvent print?

bigben

ok, I have a simple question. Does a print with a UV printer have a better quality than latex and solvent? Let say if I print on regular vinyl for the same base comparaison.

CanuckSigns

no, my experience with UV prints is that the quality is less than a solvent or latex print, but they are more durable in some applications.

bigben

It's because I've just got a test print from vanguard digital with their VK300D and the same file with same vinyl is better than my latex printer with a custom profile. I was just wondering if it was the same thing with all UV printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In general they will have lower max resolution and tend to have a slightly more grainy texture to them compared to current solvent and latex technology. That being said, the quality is still good enough to sell and the ability to print direct to substrate is well worth it. This is why I normally don't recommend UV roll to roll or hybrid machines. UV roll to roll machines a way slower, less quality and less reliable then solvent or latex. Hybrids are just problem machines because they are essentially roll to roll machines acting like they are true flat beds and don't do a very good job at it either. UV, in my opinion, is only reliable and useful on flatbed printers. Solvent and latex beat UV any time when you go roll to roll. But UV is way better when you have a flatbed and can just print straight to substrate.

ChrisN

It really depends which two printers you're comparing. Latex has a reputation for being grainy, so a new UV printer could be as good or better than that. However, new solvent printers can be nearly photo quality. Another big difference is the number of ink colors you have. Light inks make a big difference in apparent grain in the lighter areas of the print.

I've never seen prints from the Kyocera heads the VK300D uses, but our CET Q5 uses Ricoh gen 5 heads and is set up with CMYK inks. I would say the prints off of it are basically as good as our old CMYK Mutoh VJ1614 solvent printer that we used to have, but they are worse than our new Epson S80600 with its 10 ink colors, which can produce nearly photo quality prints that you almost have to stick your nose into to be able to see the dots.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
It's because I've just got a test print from vanguard digital with their VK300D and the same file with same vinyl is better than my latex printer with a custom profile. I was just wondering if it was the same thing with all UV printer.

That's because those guys make some kick butt equipment! In general though, latex should give you a better looking image then UV. (Not in all cases obviously)

IGNITION

Purveyor of Weird Stuff
We bought our UV printer (Vutek GS3250LX) with the intention that it would be our speed machine/work horse, while continuing to use our 2 latex printers (HP Latex 28500) for higher quality/lower run prints. In actuality, we now run the latex machines maybe once or twice a month, and only really when we run out of capacity on the Vutek. Our parent company is a retouching firm, so most of our clients are incredibly quality/color conscious, and still for 99% of our work, there is no discernible difference in quality between the two. That being said, we are constantly monitoring/testing/recalibrating the Vutek to keep it in tip-top shape, and I've seen the quality slide pretty quickly when that is not being done.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
It really depends which two printers you're comparing. Latex has a reputation for being grainy, so a new UV printer could be as good or better than that. However, new solvent printers can be nearly photo quality..

Huh? Latex grainy? I run 2 latex machines all day long and don't have grainy prints. Run it a 4 pass , maybe you'll have some graininess. But 8-10 pass and up, you can run some fine looking photo quality work.

chafro

Even when using Lights on both latex is less grainy than UV. Although the big format Latex printers don't have very good definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MithosTheHero

Know i'm a little late to the game, but one other thing to take into account is ink quality not just print resolution. I work for a smaller sign shop and my boss decided to buy an FB500 because he has all these other L260s and figured it would match up just fine... If you use an i1 to profile and check the CMYK base break downs... the UV has horribly unsaturated ink in comparison to the latexes. So not only are the heads better but so are the inks. So you have to up the passes to astronomical values to make them appear similar.

ProColorGraphics

I have been VERY impressed with the quality of my Fuji Acuity LED1600. My other printers are an Epson S70 and S80, so I am picky when it comes to print quality. Obviously, it's not as good as the Epson's, but that's a given since they have different intended purposes. The Fuji I have also is 6 color, plus white and clear. I should also note that I have the i1iO table and make my own profiles too.