• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does it make sense to buy HP with this quality of support?

Fooroogelm

I have an HP Latex 700 W. The warranty ended six months ago. Two weeks ago, the printer stopped initializing - drops detector sensor error. I informed my authorized HP service company from which I purchased the printer. They said they would order a new sensor. Still no sensor. To my questions "When will it be?" do not answer. I've already lost several clients and several thousands of dollars. Judging by the pace of work, this trifling breakdown will be done at least 3-4 weeks. If I have 2-3 more of these during the year, the business must be closed.

Question - is it really always in HP that there are such problems with the service? From the USA to Vancouver to send a simple part by express delivery - does it always take so long? I don't believe they don't have these sensors in stock.

If I knew the quality of the support work, I would never have bought HP.

Or is it the norm? How about other brands? Because of the sensor, lose business for a month - or maybe forever?

Forgive me for being too emotional, I just got f#cked. :(

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Is it HP you are dealing with directly or some reseller? Anyway if you happen to get shitty local support it doesn't really matter what brand it ends up being.

Fooroogelm

I am dealing with a local company of course.
But HP can influence its dealers somehow, can't it?

And in general, I want to understand - is it normal to change the sensor for a month or not? (I think - no).

And what can I do about it?

Can I switch to another local service provider?

Now several years of my work are just collapsing - and I can't do anything...

Fooroogelm

What's the point in trying to make modern products at all - if a few guys - local companies will multiply all your efforts by "zero"?

Last edited:

Fooroogelm

And the local company says that it was HP who promised to send the sensor, and did not do it. And it is not known when it will be done. Who is right in this situation?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well you are out of warranty so if the local dealer services you HP doesn't necessarily know anything about that. They can order the parts as "stock" and do business with you 1on1.

I don't know, we don't know. Maybe it is on backorder. I really don't see the reason to lie about it.

Ask some other resellers if they service for you. I don't see why not, again out are out of warranty so you personally deal with the reseller, not HP.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
HP really loves the service contracts so it's a bit different then. Basically you should have next day service.. in reality..

And really this whole thing is no different to anything else. Maybe you have had shitty service from Ford dealer or a part order took a month. Same thing, you can go to next town in future if you like it. It happens.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In my experience, a majority of customer service breakdowns are caused by lack of communication. It's completely possible that the sensor is on backorder but the fact that they aren't telling you is the problem. I've been selling parts for 14 years and I can tell you that the last 2-3 years has completely changed the reliability of getting parts. I almost never ran into backorders and now it's almost expected. I can't tell you why but it has been a noticeable change. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason HP is having difficulty getting it is related. They may be a US company but they get everything from China which is where most of the parts for the machines I work on come from as well.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have no experience w/ HP and would never buy any of their products....but it sounds like your dealer is dicking you around.

I'd contact HP directly and find out when the part is actually expected and if they are on back-order. If it isn't anytime soon, time to come up with some contingencies like getting another printer or outsourcing your prints. I'm sure there are lots of options in Vancouver or nearby that could potentially print for you. I understand the position you're in, but sitting around waiting for parts in this day and age won't be a winning battle.

I'd offer to help and print whatever you need but shipping from Manitoba to BC isn't exactly cheap. Maybe ikarasu or someone else in BC could do some printing for you?

Hope you get your issues sorted out and get back up and running sooner than later. Good luck!

ikarasu

And the local company says that it was HP who promised to send the sensor, and did not do it. And it is not known when it will be done. Who is right in this situation?
Which company are you dealing with?

And yes, we have a 700w - if you need help with some rush jobs as you wait, I'm In Langley and can help out for cost to keep you running.

ikarasu

And in general, I want to understand - is it normal to change the sensor for a month or not? (I think - no).

You can switch service providers. I've had great experiences with Grimco, the local Grimco techs know a ton about latexs, and Grimco may have more pull than the others.

If you're already using Grimco..then your other option is Ndgraphics. They're not bad either. Those are the only 2 I'd use locally.... Never had much luck with the other smaller guys.

netsol

you can INSIST on getting your part shipped overnight, as opposed to the servicing dealer ordering once a week. send them a "time is of the essence". notification,

Fooroogelm

Many thanks to everyone who responded.
In a unique coincidence, my dealer sent a man the day I wrote this post and he managed to fix it in half an hour without changing the part.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand about backorder. I specifically bought the newest HP printer at that time - and overpaid for it - as of a year and a half ago. To avoid problems with spare parts. And it turns out - its spare parts - are already "backorder"? As far as I understand, it is still being produced. But there are no spare parts. And - the simplest and cheapest. If so, then my dealer is definitely not at fault. The question is to HP.

netsol

parts back orders are "luck of the draw"
sounds like you did everything right.
my point was, each dealer has a routine for parts orders, but, only YOU know what the cost of a down day is (is there a backup machine, or a friendly sign shop to help outbwith rush?)
it pays to offer, up front , to pay the extra cost of overnight shipping, (assuming the part is available SOMEWHERE)