• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this happen to anyone else?

TheSnowman

You have a customer stop in, and they need something YESTERDAY, and it's SO SIMPLE that you don't really need to talk to them, but they think that they need to explain to you what you already know. THEN, you open up the file, get what you need for info they wanted, call them back, and say, "It works out to be X size by X size, just call me and let me know if that'll work or not"...so they STOP BY and waste more time and talk about everything that DOESN'T have to do with the project, because they thought it would be quicker for me to do that than just answer the phone.

You get to work on it rushing it ahead of others to be a nice guy, and when it's done, you call them and tell them it's ready. Then...it sits, and sits, and sits in your office for one week, two weeks, over a month...and they finally come to get it. I'M SO SICK OF IT! I try to get 50% down on most jobs, but I guess I need to remember to do it on ALL jobs, cause I'm tired of tripping over this stuff!

Am I the only one?

Jillbeans

You are not alone.
I have had a deposited-upon ($500 deposit) job in my garage for well over three years which involves two sheets of 5'x10' aluminum. Customer was in a big hurry and never could tell me just what they wanted on the signs, so there they sit.
In the way.
I email them every so often and they still don't know what they want.
I think I am going to email them and just tell them to come get the damn aluminum.
I also have floated a $50 deposit for boat lettering for two years.
Sometimes it's easier to get the deposit than to get the client to make up their mind!
And 99% of the time I do get the deposit.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

I just send out the invoice and let it sit.
It happens occassionaly.
It is very hard to even try and get 50%, let alone COD from large corperate customers, so it's all part of the game.

signage

What you guys need to add is a sign and a line on you contracts that say their will be an X amount of storage charge after say 10 days! Also note that if not picked up with-in 6 months it will be discarded at customers cost!

jscarl

Banner for a D.J.. Deeded it for wedding Sat night. Two weeks ago. Still here. I call and e-mail. He does not answer.

a couple of thoughts.

this reminds me of the talks we occasionally have regarding minimum pricing and we read shop minimums of $15, 20, 25....etc. and i never can understand this, the reason being that even though the project may only take you 5 minutes to complete you still have:

the initial time of listening to the client tell you what they need (super simple 1 color decal cut weed tape or print contour cut project...quick and easy... with normal polite chit chat lets say 5 minutes)

write up work order, enter info for new client or dig out existing client information folder/file whatever, check for materials, etc. (again simple project, you don't have to order materials lets say 5 minutes) if you have to order materials there's another 5 minutes or so.

setup computer file load material (simple job / shop minimum quicky 5 minutes)

cut job on plotter or print put away material (5 minutes)

weed, cover in transfer tape find a bag, box, envelope for project so we look somewhat professional other than just handing over our product unprotected. (5 minutes)

call client to let them know project is completed and invoice project (5 minutes)

client comes in basic quick politeness "hey thanks for your business, we appreciate you, blah blah blah, who do you know that would benefit from my products and services? i assure you i will give them the same great quality you have come to expect from us as well as the great customer service we are known for...what is their hame, phone, email? great thanks, if it isn't too much to ask could i get you to make an introduction? phone call/ email so i am not calling them unexpectedly. we really appreciate you...our business is based on referals and i will gladly return the favor by refering anyone i encounter that would benefit from your products and services your direction, in fact can i have a small stack of your business cards so that i have them on hand? (another 5 minutes)

follow up..send a quick email or card thanking client for business. another chance to put your name in front of the client, be certain that you tactfully say " our business is built on referals if you know anyone who would benefit from our products and services please pass along our contact information. rest assured that we will give them the same great service you have come to expect from us. we will also proudly refer anyone we encounter
to your company that we meet who will benefit from your services. Again thank you for your business." if you ask for referals your clients will give them to you but that is another topic for another day. another 5 minutes

so that simple project that only took you 5 minutes when you take into account interaction time with clients, clerical work, etc etc really took 40 minutes.

all projects should be billed at the minimum of one hour...in my opinion, those simple projects can be some of your biggest losers if you really take a look at what it really takes to get it out the door.

i really think that most people (including myself in some scenarios) have become accustomed to thinking we should receive everything NOW. it seems that the client always needs their project NOW. Quote them your standard production time and if that is not acceptable explain to them that you will have to juggle your work load and work overtime to meet their deadline. Obviously working extra hours outside of your normal production schedule is going to cost them. If it is a true RUSH they need to pay the charges that go with that, but in my experience if the charge is appropriate it seems that they magically now have more time.

If you stick to your policy eventually your repeat clients will begin to plan accordingly the majority of the time, of course there will be exceptions, mistakes, planning errors, life...

There are companies that charge 100%+ for rush projects and they get it...myself I think that is excessive, however, the charge should be sufficient to cover your additional expenses, inconvenience, etc. and make a profit. If you need to miss dinner with your family or a weekend away from enjoying time with your kids to meet client project demands your financial reward should be significant enough to justify it.

Many of us fall into the routine of servicing the client to any measure... I believe in it, I preach it but on the other side of the coin we need to avoid conditioning clients into the behavior of constantly placing RUSH orders because there is no consequences (expense) for doing so.

signgal

Gabagoo's method works for us. I finally got fed up a few years back and now invoice for the final payment upon completion, picked up or not. Get's their butts there to pick it up most of the time but I've actually had customers pay in full up front and never pick it up. It's nuts! I contact them after 30 days and tell them the sign will have to be destroyed because we do not store signs.

Never hurts to add a line on your work orders about signs being picked up x amount of days but I think it might create more problems than it solves.

Pat Whatley

Don't forget, those little nothing jobs are usually the ones where everything goes wrong. You run out of material, the plotter destroys vinyl, you cut the aluminum down to the wrong size, then spell something wrong. Next thing you know that "no big deal" rush job has taken two hours and you've lost $30 on the deal.

TheSnowman

I do charge a rush fee. My issue with the guy is that he REALLY didn't need it in a rush, and it's sat here two weeks.

Patrick46

You are not alone.
I have had a deposited-upon ($500 deposit) job in my garage for well over three years which involves two sheets of 5'x10' aluminum.

I think I am going to email them and just tell them to come get the damn aluminum. (after 3 years???HUH)??????????

I also have floated a $50 deposit for boat lettering for two years. (nice pun)

If they don't pick up their junk after acouple of months...I keep the materials, and they're out the deposit. I'm a signguy...not a warehouse guy.

Kwiksigns

wookie
i love rush jobs... we make em pay up front. just finished 2 2x7' banners and a 10x20" .040 alum for $250. paid up front. cash. all scrap materials from yesterday.

if they don't want to pay a deposit or up front you know its gonna be a problem

BROWNDOG

what do you do when the rush (paid in full)job sat in your garage for over a year, you finally remove the vinyl and cut it down, as soon as you finish cutting customer walks in to pick it up?

signage

I would tell him sorry it was thrown out being he did not pick it up in a timely fashion! Try this at a store buy something and pay for it then go back a year later to pick it up!

S

scarface

One time i had signs from a contractor sit for 2 weeks. I said "im just throwing the damn things out" and damn if he didn't knock on the door after i said that literally 2 seconds after.

I've gotten screwed over numerous times, i don't understand people at all. I usually tell others to stay away from them as they are BS'ers,

You need it last week but you don't come get it when it's ready for 2 weeks from today...

J Hill Designs

Have a sandblasted sign sittin in my shop for the past year and a half - got a deposit, but they wont come pick up and pay remainder grrrr

"Deposit Please"

Always, i mean always, take a deposit & we will see how fast he comes back to pick it up. Also, that weeds out the customers who are or aren't serious.