• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drone video

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Open a conversation ?? You mean are there any openings in drone school ??

You just finished drone school and now you wanna join forces with anyone who wants eyes in the sky.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Sounds like your lesson this week was about drones. Are you trying to get us to do your homework for you??
Texas_Signmaker How did you guess? No. My lessons have been completed.
Anyway, I just think using a drone video would be an interesting way to tell a sign project story. And, I would like to get as much practice using my newly acquired skills. The day will come when I will decide it is time to turn this hobby into a profitable business. That day is a few miles down the road.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp

You just finished drone school and now you wanna join forces with anyone who wants eyes in the sky.
Gino Welcome to the conversation. The drone idea is something I hope to develop into a profitable business. Not that I actually take the drone video, but more that I function as the producer/director of the complete video story. Anyone with a smartphone can take a video. The drone approach requires a little different technique. In any case, I would take the raw footage and develop the video story, the movie with an appropriate voice-over. Every sign project has a story. Some more interesting than others.
Gino I wonder, does any of that make sense to you? As always, I respect your opinion and feedback.

ikarasu

I happen to be a Drone manufacture/ 107 pilot making large drones for the inspection industry.

Do you find the smaller / DJI drones are taking a chunk out of your business, or is it a completely different market?

I had a quote on replacing a bunch of signs on a bridge that were old. We were doing a sight inspection and the engineer met us... I was surprised when he pulls out a DJI drone and flew it up to get some views of the cabling and supports to make sure they're still in good condition.

My first thought was they must be saving a ton of money by using drones rather than sending someone up to do inspections .. second was I can't believe they're using a DJI drone rather than a specialized one.

Hell... We just wrapped a few drones in police decaling for our police force. They had a couple 20k CAD drone that had switchable cameras, night vision.. bullhorn attachments and the works. It was just a DJI drone...

I wish for stuff like that they'd stick with local manufacturers and not buy cheap Chinese products. But these days it's all about saving a buck.

Val47

I think, that Robert is looking for drone enthusiasts to help with the video endeavors. Sounds like a match made in heaven on S101 with the owner!

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
Do you find the smaller / DJI drones are taking a chunk out of your business, or is it a completely different market?

I had a quote on replacing a bunch of signs on a bridge that were old. We were doing a sight inspection and the engineer met us... I was surprised when he pulls out a DJI drone and flew it up to get some views of the cabling and supports to make sure they're still in good condition.

My first thought was they must be saving a ton of money by using drones rather than sending someone up to do inspections .. second was I can't believe they're using a DJI drone rather than a specialized one.

Hell... We just wrapped a few drones in police decaling for our police force. They had a couple 20k CAD drone that had switchable cameras, night vision.. bullhorn attachments and the works. It was just a DJI drone...

I wish for stuff like that they'd stick with local manufacturers and not buy cheap Chinese products. But these days it's all about saving a buck.

DJI is a great drone but in today's climate, Chinese drones are not being used for sensitive use like infrastructure inspections. The drones I product are American made and our software is under our control, and not connected to the CCP. There are many new companies that make all made in America components DJI will be a think of the past next few years provided that our current occupier does continue to sell out our country to China. FAA has many rules and regulations and you can't just go by a drone and start taking pictures.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
DJI is a great drone but in today's climate, Chinese drones are not being used for sensitive use like infrastructure inspections. The drones I product are American made and our software is under our control, and not connected to the CCP. There are many new companies that make all made in America components DJI will be a think of the past next few years provided that our current occupier does continue to sell out our country to China. FAA has many rules and regulations and you can't just go by a drone and start taking pictures.
Signs101Admin As you so correctly put it, "FAA has many rules and regulations and you can't just go by a drone and start taking pictures." For me, if I am the producer of a sign project video, I would work with a licensed drone pilot to take the aerial video. Then I would splice/edit it into the video story.

Last edited:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
If you have some curious interest in the idea of making a sign project video, the whole process can be quite simple. Let's say you are doing an install. At the right time, you can bring me along via Zoom. Mount your iPhone on a tripod. We can talk together about what is going on. Or, let's say you are building an important part in your shop. Again, you can take me into your shop via Zoom and show me what you are doing. Then again, you can show me some interesting parts of the design work, all via Zoom. We can even have a three-way conversation with your client. And then, if appropriate, and at the right time, we can create a drone video. Again, I can be right there with the drone pilot via Zoom. Then I will take all of those components and begin to develop the video story. At any point, you can be my sidekick. After the video is complete, you can use it and your client can use it. Please do not hesitate to open a conversation with me about this tactic. I am just starting this venture with a highly skilled support team.

Precision

Robert, looks like you just trying to keep busy and help out. Thanks for being so kind. I hope you find someone that can use this. Sounds pretty cool. Have a great day!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino Welcome to the conversation. The drone idea is something I hope to develop into a profitable business. Not that I actually take the drone video, but more that I function as the producer/director of the complete video story. Anyone with a smartphone can take a video. The drone approach requires a little different technique. In any case, I would take the raw footage and develop the video story, the movie with an appropriate voice-over. Every sign project has a story. Some more interesting than others.
Gino I wonder, does any of that make sense to you? As always, I respect your opinion and feedback.

Of course it makes sense. This technology has been out for some time, now. I know people already doing it and they are making some really neat videos. I almost got into it, but decided to move in a different direction at my age. That's what surprises me about this..... and you. You are treating this like it just came out last week. It's a fantastic idea and a great tool for many, but you seem to be treating it like you're bringing this into the fold for the first time.

At this point, I'd rather be hearing from Paul, than you about this. At least he has knowledge and first hand abilities.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Of course it makes sense. This technology has been out for some time, now. I know people already doing it and they are making some really neat videos. I almost got into it, but decided to move in a different direction at my age. That's what surprises me about this..... and you. You are treating this like it just came out last week. It's a fantastic idea and a great tool for many, but you seem to be treating it like you're bringing this into the fold for the first time.

At this point, I'd rather be hearing from Paul, than you about this. At least he has knowledge and first hand abilities.
Gino Yes, it is quite interesting the Paul is in that business.
I have begun the process to become a drone pilot. In the meantime, here in the metro Bay Area, my mentor is licensed. In other metro areas, I will hire a licensed pilot.
You are correct. The idea of making a drone video of a sign project is new to me.
Just in case, in your own business, maybe have you already made drone videos of any of your sign projects? Or, do you have first-hand knowledge of any fellow sign maker who has used a drone video? Maybe you have or maybe not. Just asking.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Some are even members of this forum. It is up to them, if they want to come forward. It's not in my place to have them answer to you. Give it some time robert. Perhaps they will surface and maybe even help you, if that's what you're asking.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Yes. Some are even members of this forum. It is up to them, if they want to come forward. It's not in my place to have them answer to you. Give it some time robert. Perhaps they will surface and maybe even help you, if that's what you're asking.
Gino Got it. Thank you.

Rocco G

In the winter of 2020 we did a large Nike installation in downtown Philly. I had an old friend come out and take drone video of the installation process. The logo was 18' long and it was about 75' up in the air. We got great responses until my insurance agent urged me to remove it. Our policy was up for the annual renewal and he was afraid that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover us because of "excessive height". He's a independent agent and shops around each year for me. Apparently the insurance companies think that anything over two stories is excessively high. So, go ahead with the drone footage, but keep in mind that putting it all out there on the web has consequences.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
I've just recently watched a video (which of course I can't find now) of a woman using things like fishing rods, zip-lines, long sticks, kites, etc. in areas where no drones are allowed. The footage looked great for her purposes - though I don't know how well it would work for signage!

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
In the winter of 2020 we did a large Nike installation in downtown Philly. I had an old friend come out and take drone video of the installation process. The logo was 18' long and it was about 75' up in the air. We got great responses until my insurance agent urged me to remove it. Our policy was up for the annual renewal and he was afraid that insurance companies wouldn't want to cover us because of "excessive height". He's a independent agent and shops around each year for me. Apparently the insurance companies think that anything over two stories is excessively high. So, go ahead with the drone footage, but keep in mind that putting it all out there on the web has consequences.
Rocco G If you have a current sign project that has the potential of being an interesting drone video, let's take the next small step and have a discovery-style conversation.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I've just recently watched a video (which of course I can't find now) of a woman using things like fishing rods, zip-lines, long sticks, kites, etc. in areas where no drones are allowed. The footage looked great for her purposes - though I don't know how well it would work for signage!
KatePhillips If any of your current art projects might make an interesting drone video, let's have a short conversation to see if we should develop it.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
To my fellow Signs101 members, if you have been reading this Thread and if you have some small interest in the idea of making a drone video, please feel free to start a conversation with me. You can do it right here in this Thread, or with a DM, or email. No obligation, just explore and discover the possibilities and the potential.