• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dump truck signage

Turbophein

i have a customer looking to put a 4x8 sign on the sides of there dump trucks. but they are worried about it getting scratched up to fast, as they are hard on there trucks. they want me to come up with a solution that will keep the sign going for a long time to come.

they were thinking of covering it with some type of poly that won't get dull when scratched to bad.

not even sure where to start or how to price this one. they have 3 trucks all together but only want 1 done for now.

figuring i would start with a aluminum base panel.

would love any ideas?

the truck is not flat also so i would need a way to mount it.

Attachments

• bibeau1.jpg
    bibeau1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

rjssigns

Tell the guys the gravel goes in the box not down the sides. I have lettered dump-trucks and put flames on the boxes. They are still immaculate. While I have done others and within a couple weeks they look like the rest of the yard rats.

Otherwise bury it in Valspar AC4400 clear. It is what I use on motorcycles and the stuff dries like granite. Never had a call back for chipping. Sherwin-Williams makes a self healing clear, but I think it is around 700 bux a gallon.

But frankly they are asking for the moon. Gee our guys beat the crap out of everything and instead of firing them I'll make it the sign guys problem.

Marlene

you could make signs that are attached with a frame system to the sides of the truck and put the graphics/lettering on the backside of lexan like they do for a hockey rink.

petepaz

two things 1- can you put the graphics with in the channels this way they are set back a little and will get less abuse ( i have done a few like that and it holds up a little better like that) 2- maybe if you use a floor graphic lam or or the lam they recommend for the street graphics

Mikeifg

Is it still snowing there?. You could put a heavy alum sign up there but eventually it will get abused they all do.

Turbophein

wow, thanks for the fast replies!

unfortunately with there logo it wouldn't look right set in the body panels...

i do have the substance 23mm thick mx vinyl???

no not snowing, lol but its the only pic of the body i had.

maybe some angle iron for a frame system. and set the sign back inside of it, to help protect it???

they are definitely asking for a lot. i have to come up with some kind of price and charge accordingly. maybe they would be willing to mount the angle iron, they have the tools to do so, more than i do...

ucmj22

If he wants to go overboard, you could reverse print on clear, mount on plexi, then mount that on dibond.

Ponto

:banghead:...seems to be the nature of the beast ........will they also repaint the vehicle when scratches occur........????????

jp

J

john1

You won't have a issue. I have done signs on the sides of dump trucks and the rear and yes they take a beating but vinyls pretty tough stuff. It's going to get scratched up but no more than the truck itself.

Just price it as 2 4x8' .063" minimum thickness aluminum panels 1 sided each. I would let them install it between the panels on the sides. Might end up making it shorter or longer than 4x8' depending how the panels span across.

OldPaint

"But frankly they are asking for the moon. Gee our guys beat the crap out of everything and instead of firing them I'll make it the sign guys problem."

letter the bed directly with INTERMEDIATE VINYL. it is tougher and will take more abuse then HP. AND when it gets tore up enough.............RELETTER IT!!! i do a lot a tree service trucks....................IN INTERMEDIATE.

qmr55

"But frankly they are asking for the moon. Gee our guys beat the crap out of everything and instead of firing them I'll make it the sign guys problem."

letter the bed directly with INTERMEDIATE VINYL. it is tougher and will take more abuse then HP. AND when it gets tore up enough.............RELETTER IT!!! i do a lot a tree service trucks....................IN INTERMEDIATE.

This but do it on 4x8 panels mounted to the side if you can't letter it directly.

J

john1

Lexan would work but let's be realistic, They aren't gonna pay for that.

Aluminum with calendered vinyl will be just fine. From experience

Hell I have a dump truck side sign done in 1 yr chrome looking great 2 years going now. I covered the background in chrome and used royal blue lettering.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a real solid answer, but hand-lettering it direct would be your best bet, next to that, letter up some powder coated steel blanks and let them weld them on.

You'll have so many problems if you use lexan or any other clear product from buckling and bowing where it's fastened on to up where you are..... the stuff becoming so brittle in the Winter cold. If they're afraid of stones and stuff chipping it... imagine they're dismay when the signs break from cold and rocks and chit hitting them.

If you must, just put a super thick laminate on a piece of whatever you letter like they use for stone guards on regular vehicles and just let them pay for their carelessness.

piccadillysigns

They use stretch frames on Semi trucks, mount a stretch frame and use a heavy vinyl banner on the side, when it's done make them a new Banner my 2cents. if there is clearance for one.

TopFliteGraphics

I was just at a construction site and saw some dumpsters that I lettered using Avery A6 about 6-7 years ago. They are a little scratched here and there but otherwise they look great. Never thought they would last this long.

OldPaint

This but do it on 4x8 panels mounted to the side if you can't letter it directly.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........i said letter right on the body!!!! adding a sheet of aluminum, adds cost, adds installation time and cost.
ITS A FRIGGIN DUMP TRUCK..............if you use it for its intened purpose, it will receive damage over time. if he dont want it scratched up.........park it and look at how pretty it is...........SITTING THERE NOT MAKING MONEY!!!!