• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Durabond... any experience

Drip Dry

Started using Durabond ( double faced Aluminum Composite)

This past summer, we covered and existing monument sign with it by holding it in place with a few screws and lettered it with vinyl. It looked great. Today I go by and it looks someone beat it up with a baseball bat.

Looking closer, it looks like it warped and twisted on a 2 of the edges. I mean it really looks like hell

Before I start to panic and start seeing this on all the jobs I used this material on, has anyone else used this stuff and have you had problems with it.
now I'm not sure if I should even be using it for outdoors.

Any comments

Thanks

skyhigh

Is that the "dibond" like material, or the corrugated innards? I've heard of duraply (basically MDO), but thats not what you're talking about.

I'm guessing its the dibond look-alike cheap material thats rated for 1 year outdoors. Cost like $42 a sheet???
If thats the product you used, you can start to worry now!!!

Check with your supplier.....they can tell you the warranty info on the product.

SebastienL

Do you mean 2 aluminum faces laminated on styrene or PVC (Dibond, ePanel, etc)?

If so, there not much you can do with the existing sign. Once this material is bent or kinked, you will never bring it back.

We buy this stuff (ePanel) by the skid load. Usually, we build a frame out of 4x4s 2x4s and screw the 4'x8' panels on it. We make them as big as 40ft by 20ft. We never had a problem like you describe.

We never, ever use this material where it can be reached by passer-byes (with a baseball bat!).

Maybe post a picture?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's see here...Durabond... Long Island.................................................................... vandalism ??

Hmmmmm....... I think I see the connection. Regardless of the substrate used, I think you have a different problem. :omg:

skyhigh

yeah durabond seems to have same specs as brand-name dibond: 0.3mm aluminum on polyethylene core

A few years ago, we had ordered a product called "ecopanel" or it may have been "ecobond". From a visual only, it appeared to be dibond....3mil blah, blah. It was only $35-$38 a sheet at that time. We later found out that it was recommended for indoor, or 1 year outdoor. They didn't even recommend you cut the product. From what my supplier told me, it wasn't glued too swell in the center (?), but parimeter glued well. I do know the metal face was thinner also. Too many different manufacturers of this type of product.

Our supplier took half of it back. We kept the rest for temp projects. When it was gone, we never got it again.

J Hill Designs

I see where you are coming from, but durabond:

DESCRIPTION
A decorative aluminium composite panel with a 1001 uses!
DuraBond is a polyethylene core with 0.3mm colored aluminium sheet either side.
It is a pre-finished product that requires no decoration.

• Smooth Surface Coating
  • Excellent Impact Resistance
  • Outstanding Weather Resistance
  • Easy to Maintain and Install
  • Incredible dimensional stability at extremes of temperature
  • Excellent Resistance to Ultraviolet Radiation
  • Corrosion resistant