• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco Solvant Ink Fumes?

Tharnpheffa

Hi Guys,
We've been printing non-stop full coverage (the ink) posters all week.
I sit behind the Roland 540 and I swear I can taste it/ feel burning in my nose, ears and throat.
The last couple of mornings I've woken up in a fog feeling all stuffed up and drugged out.
Anybody else experience this stuff? My coworkers don't notice it.
I'm using a fan today and have to door open, but this is not good.
Thanks!
:omg:

Mason

LOL we have our printer in a seperate room we have a mimaki jv3 solvent printer. it has a venting fan system.

Which I believe requires venting, The Roland does not require it but I have experienced the same thing when using mine.

Flame

Never had a problem here, only when I tried aftermarket inks... then I got pretty dizzy.

Tharnpheffa

I'm using Roland inks only.
Hopefully we'll have a room for it in our next space, but my boss chose this specific
printer because it doesn't need a venting system.

Graphics2u

Just because they say there are no harmful (and that's up for debate) VOC's doesn't mean it don't smell bad. My Mutoh definitely has an odor when running it non stop for awhile. Especially Banner material. Must be something about the material and the ink combination. It's still best to keep those fumes away from you as much as possible. what they say won't hurt you today may be found to cause cancer in 5 years, who knows.

sarge

i spent about 5k worth of venting equipement and my sons did the install .. i just cant handle the fumes .. even with the summa dc models . i have to out source all print work .. i went to a demo at midwest and they have a great vent system .. i spent 2 weeks in the hospital .. but i have bad lungs anyway .. i say this .. you only need cancer 1 time to understand what it means to protect yourself .. now we here are considering making a seperate building for printers and painting .. i was wondering if i was the only one .. and i didnt want to sound like a whinner

anotherdog

Hey a few years ago they said smoking was good for you. I have a new Roland, I have to open the door when it's a big run. However with winter on the doorstep I'll have to get creative with a bathroom fan and some ducting.
I taste it myself, in low doses it's the smell of money, but when it gets going its bad. Something that makes you feel like that can't be good long term or short.