• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco Solvent Inks under Fiberglass (surfboard) Resin?

os101king

Anyone have experience here? I've got a customer looking for decals for a surfboard line, and I'm wondering who else here has done this... I'm guessing that the resin would act against the ink (eco-solvent) if not clearcoated or laminated. I laminate normally with water-based clearshield.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!

Would be running on a Mutoh 1204-VJ with Eco-Solvent-Ultra inks.

Sticky Signs

Although I don't think it should be a problem, I'd ask for the resin for testing purposes. Better safe than sorry.
We've put all kinds of stuff over vinyl and usually get pretty good results. Sometimes you do end up with something that reacts to either the vinyl/adhesive or the ink but you'll never know till you test it out.

os101king

Right, I going to provide a coated and uncoated sample for my guy to test... I thought testing was the best way to go. Just feeling things out and I figured if I got an overwhelming "WONT WORK" then I could just stop it there you know?

Thanks!

Fatboy

I think as long ass your coat it with laminate it will be fine.I will use the liquid laminate since it will also laminate the edges of the paper.

os101king

Hmm... so in that case I'd be safest running a cut THEN clearcoating after the cut has time to open up... I've had problems though peeling after coating like that. Soaks in along the edges but also compromises the liner. Because I normally clearcoat BEFORE cutting.

iSign

surfboard laminates have been made on rice paper forever.
The rice paper can be hacked into any old shape & then the unprinted background and edge simply disappears into the glass, as it is so porous.

I've silkscreened them for years, but I did run a batch on an old HP5000 which worked fine, and I just printed some smaller ones yesterday on an HP desktop printer. The inkjet ones have a less dense coverage, are less appropriate for any colored boards other than white & have reduced UV durability. Silkscreen is still the best method & you can print a white base under graphics for colored boards. (although the porous nature of rice paper make's it quite a unique challenge for multi-color printing)

Artbot's "epoxy board" comment is also relevant. Fiberglass boards once comprised almost the entire industry, but since an EPA fiasco with the primary supplier of foam board blanks, the industry has shifted into much more epoxy boards being manufactured. I sell a lot of solvent decals for surf, sail, kite & standup paddle boards. They all go on the finished product instead of under fiberglass.

Graphics2u

i've had extensive experience with putting coatings, mainly waterbased floor finishes, over prints. We found that the finishes do not adhere well to the ink itself. Liquid lam helped some but a vinyl lam works great. But I don't know if thickness is an issue for your application, and fiberglass is going to be different too. Anywhere there was the white vinyl showing through thte print it would stick fine but it would peel easily where the ink was.