• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge 2-- Vinyl slipping off sprockets

charissabuskirk

I didn't read ALL the suggestions so this may have been suggested before, but how do the white plastic strips look? Sorry not sure what the part is called but the 2 plastic strips that keep the dust off as the vinyl is feeding back and forth. I know ours get a little beat up and I'm sure they can accumulate adhesive which would cause the vinyl to bind on one of the sides. Or possibly something in the whole "arm" assembly that clamps down to hold the vinyl. If it's applying uneven pressure it would cause it to slip or catch on the tightest side.

If that makes sense... waiting for first coffee to kick in still. :Sleeping:

Thanks Pat!

"2 plastic strips" I did check those as well, besides a slight bend in one, they are clean.
For the arm assembly, I took a look at that also but didn't notice anything "out of the ordinary" when the machine is open.

When printing, there's a tick-tick sorta sound that coincides with the sprocket and the perf holes nearest the front of the machine. To me that means something is "catching" but I can't determine what it is.

charissabuskirk

All in all, I'm really at a loss. I've tried everything I can think of, everything that's been suggested thus far. I'm wasting a good amount of material and really need to get this job done by tomorrow. At this point, since the mornings are usually quite successful in production, I'm going to keep working and trying to figure out what's going on.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

charissabuskirk

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 106

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks Pat!

"2 plastic strips" I did check those as well, besides a slight bend in one, they are clean.
For the arm assembly, I took a look at that also but didn't notice anything "out of the ordinary" when the machine is open.

When printing, there's a tick-tick sorta sound that coincides with the sprocket and the perf holes nearest the front of the machine. To me that means something is "catching" but I can't determine what it is.

Not sure if this is helpful... Vid of the machine printing
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kfxhbhdgkk1l7oj/AAAPLl4X7vGITwGsgAPJ_U22a?dl=0

Then the photo is what it looks like right after the problem occurs

The clicking sound is the the foil sticking to the vinyl and the vinyl starting to come off of the sprocket pins.

At this point I would suggest you consider getting your Gerber distributor involved. They often have loaner machines available and can help determine if your Edge needs a factory repair.

charissabuskirk

The clicking sound is the the foil sticking to the vinyl and the vinyl starting to come off of the sprocket pins.

At this point I would suggest you consider getting your Gerber distributor involved. They often have loaner machines available and can help determine if your Edge needs a factory repair.

Thanks Fred. That's what I've been thinking at this point. It's been working great all morning. But that's been the deal for the last 3 days.

Pressure feet

Have you checked the pressure feet? Those are on the bottom side of the bail arm and have two prongs on the left and right of each one. If any of the prongs are broken, the vinyl won't feed right.
Here's a pic. We have them in stock.

attachment.php

Doug Goodloe
800-232-8018

Attachments

• FrontPressureFoot.jpg
    FrontPressureFoot.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 149

charissabuskirk

Have you checked the pressure feet? Those are on the bottom side of the bail arm and have two prongs on the left and right of each one. If any of the prongs are broken, the vinyl won't feed right.
Here's a pic. We have them in stock.

attachment.php

Doug Goodloe
800-232-8018

Doug, I did check them, on both sides they are intact and clean.

Billct2

No suggestions, but what a lot of great tips here, can't wait to find out what the probelem is....but what a bummer having to deal with it

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Gerber is now offering Do-It-Yourself kits for the Edge that include the clutches for the foil take up. See the attached PDF.

Attachments

• DIY_Tune-up_kit.pdf
    648.2 KB · Views: 167

charissabuskirk

Update: Still no solution.

Ran the manchine in 3' increments all day yesterday. More time consuming and wastes a bit more material for each run. BUT, it ran all day without issue.

Came in this AM, loaded a new roll of vinyl, issues from the start. After 4 attempts, I put another new roll on and it ran for about 20' or so before having issues.

Is it possible the sprockets are feeding at a slightly different rate? I'd say it's the punch in the vinyl, but it happened with almost every roll I've loaded since Monday.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Update: Still no solution.

Ran the manchine in 3' increments all day yesterday. More time consuming and wastes a bit more material for each run. BUT, it ran all day without issue.

Came in this AM, loaded a new roll of vinyl, issues from the start. After 4 attempts, I put another new roll on and it ran for about 20' or so before having issues.

Is it possible the sprockets are feeding at a slightly different rate? I'd say it's the punch in the vinyl, but it happened with almost every roll I've loaded since Monday.

Not very likely. You might want to try ordering in a roll of GSP 220 vinyl and the Gerber spot color foils to try instead of using the Avery vinyl and the ZeroNine foils.

You're probably best off to order the DIY kits suggested recently. The foil clutches could well be your problem.

charissabuskirk

Not very likely. You might want to try ordering in a roll of GSP 220 vinyl and the Gerber spot color foils to try instead of using the Avery vinyl and the ZeroNine foils.

You're probably best off to order the DIY kits suggested recently. The foil clutches could well be your problem.

I did attempt a different vinyl (not 220) with a gerber foil and it still happened.

Will definitely order the DYI kit, see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion!