• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Classic questions- testing, data errors, etc

DeVries Signs

I have a used Edge "Classic"(?) here that I wish to sell soon. I am having trouble with it communicating with my Omega software. I am using the same data cable that I use for my EdgeII- is this a problem? Does the Edge require a different cable than the EdgeII?

I do have the device "installed", and everything seems to be ok...but when i attempt to "print", I usually don't get any response at all from the Edge (it just continues to say "online". :doh:

Secondly, I was able to make a "test" print by pressing one of the hidden buttons. I've attached a pic of it. My only real agenda here is to confirm that there are NO blown pixels or any other issues with the printer before I sell it. It appears to me that there are not any blown pixels, based on the great print that I made. Is there a better way to confirm this?? I originally attempted to print a solid, spot black rectangle 6in wide x 11.7in tall. I figured this would be the best "test".

Thirdly- does anyone have an opinion as to what i should price the machine at? Should I expect to get a number in the 4 figure range- or just a few hundred dollar$??

Also- is there a way to find the "print minutes" on this machine?

Thanks a lot for your help, as always. :thankyou:

Attachments

• apr14 002.jpg
    apr14 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 131

DeVries Signs

Thanks Tony-

I downloaded the pdf manual from GSP yesterday...nothing in it about using Omega of course (just GA).

I am sure I had the edge 1 selected in plot. I actually even UNinstalled the edgeII and just had the edge1...but still nuttin'. When I click the print icon in plot, I get the "saving plot parameters for a few seconds, then a very quick window pops up (it comes and goes so quick I can't really read it), then the GQMgr window appears, and the EdgeI is always "idle", instead of "active".

I'd imagine this is something "simple"...if only I could find out what it is, though. :d

DeVries Signs

BUMP!

Ok- I now use the ol' Edge Classic, and it's been working fine for months! I took the cable off the other day for a few days- plug it back in today and i now get a "data error" code when trying to print to the edge with Omega. :(

Do these cables "go bad"?? Should i just purchase another IEEE-1284 cable and go from there??

HELP!

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As a rule they don't go bad. The main thing is to keep their length as short as possible.

Have you checked the plot/print spooler to make sure there isn't a job hung up in it that is keeping your current jobs from reaching the Edge?

DeVries Signs

Thanks Fred-

Yeah, just today i read about the cable length recommendations being 15ft max, which is the length of mine (kinda HAS to be with my current setup). But if that is the problem, I will certainly change my setup!

Anyway- i don't believe there are any other plt jobs in the que.

I just opened composer and immediately got this error window (see attachment). I can not continue until I click "ok". I also got the error window when i tried sending a job to plot. And again, I got the same "data error" on the Edge screen.

Before I started getting the "data error" messages, ive gotten a couple other error codes on the Edge which were numbers (I didnt write them down unfortunately).

Does my driver have to be updated or something for the LPT1 port??

If it means anything, this desktop PC has been having problems lately (Gateway GT5220). Little by little, all of the USB ports stopped working. I tried many suggestions via google but to no avail. All 8 USB ports are dead now (and i'm using a serial mouse...lol).

Is the LPT1 port dead now, too? Is the mobo slowly but surely shutting everything down on me??

Luckily, my com1 port must be fine because my plotter still works...*whew!*

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 116

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Best to cover some basics ...

What version of Omega are you using?

Does Omega Composer open a job correctly and can you successfully send it to GSPPlot?

Have you checked the Sentinel Config? It must be set to No for all ports that it sees except Yes for the port where your dongle resides.

Is your dongle USB or parallel? If dongle is USB and you say all your USB ports are dead, how is it working?

The printer port should be a 25 pin female. Is this where you are plugging in the Edge cable? Is there only one printer port?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Check the power saving settings for your USB ports. They should be set to Off so that your USB ports never go to sleep.

It is incorrect that you got a screen telling you the Sentinel driver is not installed. The screen displaying the settings should not have even appeared if the driver was not installed. The settings, however, are correct.

DeVries Signs

What version of Omega are you using?

Does Omega Composer open a job correctly and can you successfully send it to GSPPlot?

Yes.

Have you checked the Sentinel Config? It must be set to No for all ports that it sees except Yes for the port where your dongle resides.

Please see attached pics.

Is your dongle USB or parallel? If dongle is USB and you say all your USB ports are dead, how is it working?

USB. I actually do have ONE usb port that miraculously still works. I did have security errors with the other usb ports as i swapped it to other ports which slowly died off.

I can also swap the dongle from the desktop to the laptop and use the program...if only I had a USB to paralell cable, i guess i could run the edge from the laptop for now...? Maybe i should look into getting that cable ASAP.

The printer port should be a 25 pin female. Is this where you are plugging in the Edge cable? Is there only one printer port?

Yes, and yes.

DeVries Signs

Thanks for the help so far...I do have to run out for about an hour. I appreciate it!

PS: best place to buy a 15ft USB to parallel cable? Hyatts or something?

PS PS: actually, didnt Gerber state somewhere that they had good luck using certain "off the shelf" cables? Any help getting a source for this cable is appreciated. At least I could run my edge from my laptop for now. Looks like i'm getting a new PC, too...:eek:

The Equipment Guy

BTW,

You asked about dollar vales as well. Some time ago, so I assume you do not need the info, but I get emails asking this same info all the time, so I figured I would post it for reference.
Just for comparisons sake, I have seen many classics go for somewhere in the $500 range, depending on the head condition. I have one listed on my site that is in very good shape with a perfect head at $2,295...I have had bites, but it has not sold so you probably want to price yours a bit below that. Things that make a difference on Edges...Head age & quality (pixels) clutches, struts (do they hold the lid up) cracks in the hood.

If it has to ship,,,do you have the shipping brackets? If you do not, it can cause an issue.

Best print head clutch tests are 1 foot square prints, medium-dark color (cobalt), one at 50% halftone and one at 10-90% fade. This enables people to see the pixels out and the condition of the clutches (if the fade goes darker then lighter where it should not...)

Hope that helps somebody, lol,

Craig

DeVries Signs

Thanks Craig. I'm actually no longer selling the Edge Classic (sorry, can't edit my top post). I actually saw the same machine on eBay last week for $1800. I don't think it sold though (didn't think it would for that price, either).

I just ordered the usb/parallel Edge cable this morning ($100!) and it's drop shipping from Gerber. So I will just run the Edge from my laptop for now until i invest in a new desktop PC...

J Hill Designs

my omega 1.56 setup instructions says The port where the edge or edge2 is attached must be port type ECP and use? must equal no

yours says port type IBM AT