• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S60600 maintenance

Raghaus

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Epson S60600 - I have never owned a solvent printer before. What is the (daily?) maintenance procedure and how involved is it? Thanks in advance.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
None. The machine will prompt you every 3-4 weeks for a manual cleaning which takes about 5 minutes which just involves cleaning around the outside of the heads and the cap tops.
You should also shake the inks every 2-3 weeks to prevent pigment sediment. They are extremely easy machines to keep running.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
it's extremely minimal. so minimal that the tech who installed ours didn't even go over it... yeah, not the best installation job but like others said it's really simple compared to every other printer out there. Honestly the only two complaints we have so far are that:
-it wastes more media than we'd like on the front of each print
-it doesn't have an automatic sheet cut (wtf????)

we were coming from Mimaki's and Rolands and the print quality is better but it's not like change your world better.

DaveD

Thanks for asking the question. I had questions about this also. I just bought the S60600L on Monday and we should see it next week. Hybrid design are you using the Onyx RIP? We use Caldera and I’ll look into the media advance settings. FYI this community of shop owners had great info that I used to decide on the right machine for us.

Raghaus

That has to be one of the strangest engineering decisions ever. SMH

we were coming from Mimaki's and Rolands and the print quality is better but it's not like change your world better.

Interesting... A lot of people rave about the quality being eons better. The price is right and I have an older Epson pigment machine and a small Mimaki UV flatbed, which I absolutely love for its flexibility. I pondered getting a Mimaki roll-to-roll UV for a minute - I think the solvent printer serves me better at the larger size.

Raghaus

Thanks for asking the question. I had questions about this also. I just bought the S60600L on Monday and we should see it next week. Hybrid design are you using the Onyx RIP? We use Caldera and I’ll look into the media advance settings. FYI this community of shop owners had great info that I used to decide on the right machine for us.
Sweet & congrats... Keep us posted on how you like the machine!

neutrinocv

it's extremely minimal. so minimal that the tech who installed ours didn't even go over it... yeah, not the best installation job but like others said it's really simple compared to every other printer out there. Honestly the only two complaints we have so far are that:
-it wastes more media than we'd like on the front of each print

Wate of material on the front end ??? Is it because you attach your media to the take-up BEFORE you start printing ? Otherwise I don't see why there would be a media waste of more than a few inches...

neutrinocv

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Epson S60600 - I have never owned a solvent printer before. What is the (daily?) maintenance procedure and how involved is it? Thanks in advance.
GREAT purchase ! Excellent print quality at lower passes than the others (IMO). Overall great quality printing and color rendition for a CMYK only printer. Gradients turn out very, very well. In opposition to another post, media waste is very minimal. If you are not one of those willing to pay hundreds or thousands more for an automatic sheet cut and can invest in a good 10$ X-Acto knife; you'll be fine !

Daily maintenance is almost non-existant as long as you keep it turned on (sleep mode) as it will cycle when need be. Head and headrest maintenance is easy (less than 10 minutes) and done every couple of weeks. We clean the rollers and lube the carriage travel bars every year. We took the habit of shaking the ink cartridges every Monday morning but that could done every couple weeks as well instead but that takes less than a minute...

I figure that, globally, 5 hours a year is spent on the regular maintenance of the printer. We have S40600 (1 head), yours with 2 heads will take a supplemental 2 minutes on the head maintenance !

We found the S40600 fast enough for our needs with 1 head less to maintain (or repair...) and 1 less part to maintain (and repair...): the dryer. If you really need the speed; fine but otherwise go for the cheaper S40600 that is the exact same machine as the S60600. I know shops that bought 2 S40's instead of 1 S60 where for only a few thousands more they gained more speed and versatility that way.

Good riddance.

klingsdesigns

One thing with the 60600 if one head goes bad you can still use the other one on its own. The 40600 if the head goes bad you cant print.

ikarasu

We can print within an inch of the end as well. I usually drop it a foot though... Latex prints over hand prints nicely, which is ironic because you like 2-3 ft of printing so that doesn't help.

Solvent .. I get a nice perfect finger print right at the start... And I'm too lazy to use gloves when I switch. So first roll load I lose a ft, then everytime I cut it off I lose an inch... Not bad considering every cut I lose 2-3 ft on latex.

DaveD

GREAT purchase ! Excellent print quality at lower passes than the others (IMO). Overall great quality printing and color rendition for a CMYK only printer. Gradients turn out very, very well. In opposition to another post, media waste is very minimal. If you are not one of those willing to pay hundreds or thousands more for an automatic sheet cut and can invest in a good 10$ X-Acto knife; you'll be fine !

Daily maintenance is almost non-existant as long as you keep it turned on (sleep mode) as it will cycle when need be. Head and headrest maintenance is easy (less than 10 minutes) and done every couple of weeks. We clean the rollers and lube the carriage travel bars every year. We took the habit of shaking the ink cartridges every Monday morning but that could done every couple weeks as well instead but that takes less than a minute...

I figure that, globally, 5 hours a year is spent on the regular maintenance of the printer. We have S40600 (1 head), yours with 2 heads will take a supplemental 2 minutes on the head maintenance !

We found the S40600 fast enough for our needs with 1 head less to maintain (or repair...) and 1 less part to maintain (and repair...): the dryer. If you really need the speed; fine but otherwise go for the cheaper S40600 that is the exact same machine as the S60600. I know shops that bought 2 S40's instead of 1 S60 where for only a few thousands more they gained more speed and versatility that way.

Good riddance.
I was sold a $20K knife and the printer came with it.

DaveD

They were on sale. I think it ended Feb. 1st
They had a $5K rebate that ended on the 31st. Now they have a $3K rebate. I test drove the S40 the morning of the 31st. (That’s the only model in the showroom) and was lucky enough to place the order that day for the S60600L. Spent the day today making room for it and the Summa F1612 I picked up with it. I’ll keep you all posted when it’s up and running.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Thanks for replying on my apparent mistake on it wasting material at the start of the print. I need to check on what we're doing wrong as the we're loosing about a foot on the leading edge which isn't a big deal for most prints but we do a lot of small heat transfer jobs as well and it hurts on these. We'll print 10" of htv and use 30" of media... I really haven't played around with the printer much since we had it installed a few months ago and I think our guys are printing exactly as the tech showed them which could definitely be the reason for the waste.

The print quality is definitely better than our JV150 but I guess we were just expecting a huge jump and didn't see that. We're still using the stock profiles though and couldn't find profiles for our media (usually GF and Oracal media). We have an x-rite and really need to give some custom profiles a try.

We do love the ink usage though as even though the cartridges are a lot larger than our 440ml Mimaki carts they still seem to last forever.

We were also pleasantly surprised on the lack of solvent fumes as a few threads on here really made it sound like we were going to have to add some ventilation or a filter to our print room and that wasn't the case. The Epson actually barely smells at all and it's way way less than our Mimaki did when it had oem ink. We switched the Mimaki to Bordeaux ink and that really helped with the smell.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
We picked up Onyx Thrive. We haven't really gotten the hang of it yet and for some reason we can't get our Mimaki to connect to it but I guess eventually we'll get it working. We have the Epson, a Mimaki JV150, a Mimaki 63" cutter and a Zund and ideally we'll eventually get them all working on thrive. Right now it's only the Epson and the Mimaki cutter. We were hoping the tech who installed Onyx would be able to get it set up but he really wasn't that familiar with it.