• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever weed Oracal 5700 reflective?

signmeup

I just tried to weed some 3" letters out of some Oracal 5700 reflective. It's akin to removing vinyl from a vehicle... if said vehicle had been out in the sun for 5 years or so. Not fun. Is this typical or do I have 50 yards of defective material here? (I have weeded several other brands of reflective and while you must be careful it is not anything like weeding this stuff)

2B

yeah it can be a PITA!!!!
we only use Orcal reflective and found that the temp on the vinyl plays a big issue and the plotter set-up we have to increase the pressure and that a 60* blade is best

Last edited:

signmeup

You're a better man than me. I got an RMA # and will be shipping it back. Life's too short to weed something like that.

2B

the cost from our supplier is such we cant over look it and go to another brand and once you get the hand of how that vinyl works not bad

signmeup

I just cut some Oracal 5600 today. It weeds like a dream compared to any other I've used.
I was working with 5700. Either it was a bad roll or 5600 is a different formula.
I normally use KIWA but I thought I would give Oracal a try based on their 651 and 751 being very good weeding vinyls. The roll of 5700 I had was not good weeding vinyl.