• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever weed Oracal 5700 reflective?

signmeup

Holy crap! I was packing this stuff up for return and I noticed the box it came in already has an RMA number on it! Guess I'm not the first one to throw in the towel on this stuff. Nice of my supplier to pass such a deal along.

Haakon

I just tried to weed some 3" letters out of some Oracal 5700 reflective. It's akin to removing vinyl from a vehicle... if said vehicle had been out in the sun for 5 years or so. Not fun. Is this typical or do I have 50 yards of defective material here? (I have weeded several other brands of reflective and while you must be careful it is not anything like weeding this stuff)

This is so true about 5700!

I usually use 5600E and its great to weed and work with generally. But one time the packing department from my supplier substituted the 5600E with 5700 because the 5600E was on backorder.

It near impossible to weed without babying it to a degree that it takes 5x the time to weed compared to other makes.. Tried every combination of knives and pressure setting that I have just to make sure its not the machine setup. Luckily only ordered 10 yards, and was able to get a refund. But thumbs down from me on the 5700.

signmeup

Haakon... that's what I figured. It would take 5 times longer to weed than what I usually use. I would lose money... and my mind! I have a job doing twenty four 18 wheelers that will use almost 50 yards.

I can't believe they actually sell this stuff if that is how it works. I really thought it was defective. I'm not the first one to send this roll back...

Patentagosse

I used 3M 680 in the past but found it more difficult to cut than Oracal's 5600 (which also prints nicely). As for pricing, Oracal by a nose length. Never have problem with 5600 before. 'Always weeded fine (when I say fine, I mean fine for reflective... we all know what's all about). Oracal or 3M, very aggressive on adhesion. Both great products.

Never tried other brand. ...yes once: Avery. 'Will never again...

signmeup

Sounds like Oracal 5600 and 5700 are two different animals. I'll order a yard of 5600 and see if I can like it.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I use all the grades of oracal reflective ... 60 degree blade, increased pressure and moving the plotter to the slowest setting helps monumentally. 5700 ... dollar for dollar 3m is better. 5300 and 5600 is like cutting chrome. 5300 incidentally is a 5 year about the same cost as some of the high performance vinyl out there ... I normally stock white red and blue because of that and it doesn't kill my blade as fast as chrome.