• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

F1612, double edge knife, plastic guide scratches

evoprinting

Hello everyone! We've had our 1612 for a few months. We ust started running into a problem with the plastic guide cover on the double edge knife scratching prints that are not laminated. Specifically, pop-up banner material. I've cleaned the plastic and that helps, but eventually ink will build up and scratches return.
I've tried cutting with the plastic removed but cuts do not seem to be as good.
Anyone have a solution?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We took the guards off our double-edge / single-edge knives. Problem solved. :thumb:

Sorry just re-read and saw that you tried that. How did you find the cuts weren't as good without the guards? I just figured HD knife doesn't have guards so why would the other ones need it.......but there must be a reason they come with them.

ProColorGraphics

We took the guards off our double-edge / single-edge knives. Problem solved. :thumb:

Sorry just re-read and saw that you tried that. How did you find the cuts weren't as good without the guards? I just figured HD knife doesn't have guards so why would the other ones need it.......but there must be a reason they come with them.
My only thought was since they are intended for finer material, it puts a little down pressure on the media to hold it in place.

Technician

Drive it hard
Hello everyone! We've had our 1612 for a few months. We ust started running into a problem with the plastic guide cover on the double edge knife scratching prints that are not laminated. Specifically, pop-up banner material. I've cleaned the plastic and that helps, but eventually ink will build up and scratches return.
Anyone have a solution?
In which way dos it not cut good with the plastics removed?

evoprinting

Sorry, I should have been more specific on not cutting well. Perhaps, I have two issues. If there is ever one of those bubbles in the media on the table (this seems to happen more often than I would like), when the knife has the plastic cap installed, it will travel over the area and still cut without any issues. If we remove the plastic cap and the media isn't laying exactly flat on the table, the cut is jagged and uneven. I've tried everything to prevent those little (Bubbles, ripples etc) but still get them.

CanuckSigns

Sorry, I should have been more specific on not cutting well. Perhaps, I have two issues. If there is ever one of those bubbles in the media on the table (this seems to happen more often than I would like), when the knife has the plastic cap installed, it will travel over the area and still cut without any issues. If we remove the plastic cap and the media isn't laying exactly flat on the table, the cut is jagged and uneven. I've tried everything to prevent those little (Bubbles, ripples etc) but still get them.
We also had issues with media buckling and tunneling on our 1612, we found laminator tension was a big factor, and we also slowed down the speed the media advances on the cutter as it was too fast and was jerking the media forward. Also, adding some resistance to the rolls helps to keep everything tight and smooth.

evoprinting

We also had issues with media buckling and tunneling on our 1612, we found laminator tension was a big factor, and we also slowed down the speed the media advances on the cutter as it was too fast and was jerking the media forward. Also, adding some resistance to the rolls helps to keep everything tight and smooth.
I did notice laminate tension was a factor for tunneling.
We see it on unlaminatined stick as well. I do tie down the feed roll. I'll check the feed speed. I didn't know that was an option. Thanks!!

jerry369

Anyone have a solution?
What material and thickness are you cutting with double edge?

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Thanks for this Scott, didn't realize you could edit the feed speed. Will check it out!