• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fire deprtment scramble design?

I was approached by a local embroidery/screen printing shop about designing fire department scrambles for them to use on the apparel they are selling. Basically they have fire departments who are ordering apparel and asking for new custom scrambles, but they don't have a graphic designer to do the work. I have drawn several scrambles and enjoy doing the work, but it has all been for my own customers. I have never done any graphic design work as a contractor for another shop. So my question for those of you who do this... how do you price it? Do you just use an hourly design fee, or do you have a set price? I think for simplicity it may be best for me to come up with a set price to give them, with limitations for the number of letters involved in the scramble and complexity of the overall design.

TXFB.INS

use your hourly fee, it takes you same amount of time to design for wholesale as it does for retail.

we supply the re-seller with some different designs, all non descript, and a comparison of good, better, best for design capabilities and the considering prices for the three design variations

reQ

I have set amount for logo designs. Which includes couple different layouts + 3 revisions. After that we charge hourly. (3 revisions always enough, never had to charge extra..... yet )

WildWestDesigns

Since your customer is an embroidery/screenprint shop, I feel compelled to mention this. Be careful about how you design since their output will more then likely include embroidery.

Be sure to include a version that will retain the look and feel that you are wanting with the design, but will also translate in embroidery. I am not talking about just simplifying, that doesn't always work in embroidery either, but will work within the confines of embroidery machines. Not as easy to think to do as most think. To add to that, not all machines have the same limits either. You can get away with a lot more then you think, but in other respects, not so much. Knowing what limits to test and what limits not too is key.

There is some great information here, thank you for the replies. I have a lot to think about now. I will call the customer and discuss the options tomorrow. I will most likely draw everything by hand and then use the Vector Doctor to vectorize it.