• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flash is nearly dead

genericname

"...refocuses efforts on HTML5"

They'd better focus really damn hard. Flash certainly isn't the be all end all, but HTML5 has a little catch up to do before it's ready to completely replace it as a media platform.

Not naysaying, in fact, I can't wait. Talk of progress aside, I think Apple avoided Flash for the wrong reasons, like Lucas avoiding DVD for years.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

When I was a pinstriper at a motorcycle manufacturer, I dabbled in web design - Flash almost exclusively. I authored a prototype "movie" on my own time whereby a person on the company's website could choose a model of cycle, and with subsequent mouse clicks add wheels of their liking, a multitude of graphics designs, accessories, even down to the pinstripe color to get an accurate preview of the bike they wanted built. I showed it to management and they researched other builder's websites and saw that at that time nothing like it existed. I told them I knew the program could constantly be generating a report of the selections right down to creating an email to send into our order/sales department but I couldn't figure that part of the scripting out. The company paid for me to attend a two week training seminar in Dallas where I learned how to do this and completed the project. It became one of the most important parts of their website. I WISH I had made a dvd of it as the site no longer exists.

Myself and countless thousands of other people invested a great deal of time and effort into learning this program. It works fabulously and in a very unique way. I'd like a few minutes alone with anyone responsible for the effort to kill it off. I see this as an ongoing problem and is one of the reasons why I quit pursuing web design. Why can't development STOP when a fully viable program is developed? Why do they have to keep changing them up to the point of exhausting the technology and finally killing it off? Beats me.

signswi

Arlo flash has tons of performance overhead that's unnecessary and HTML5 animation has made it obsolete.

This is just a press release to get Adobe in the media again, they've had HTML5 animation export tools for a while now. The buzz lately all over the web is "responsive design" so they're just trying to get their name mentioned around it again to keep the brand top-mind.

qmr55

Why can't development STOP when a fully viable program is developed? Why do they have to keep changing them up to the point of exhausting the technology and finally killing it off? Beats me.

Cute story and all but does development stop in anything? Why would you even want it to? When there is something better and more viable, why not use it? I don't get why you would want web developers not to find new things because in reality all its going to do is make the industry more interesting and more to learn equals more to teach and more to teach equals more jobs.

Your reasoning makes no sense to me whatsoever because they're aren't many people in the world who will just say eh thats good enough, no more developing.

WildWestDesigns

For all those naysayers saying Apple was wrong

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/ex...rowser-flash-refocuses-efforts-on-html5/19226

Adobe is killing off flash, final nail in the coffin. They are finally admitting that Flash is NOT the future for mobile

Not the future for mobile mediums, does not mean killing it off entirely. Huge difference.

I don't think it will be the "king" that it once was for sure, but will it totally be dead? I just don't see that happening any time soon. Although I could be wrong, I have been before and I'm sure I will be again.

I do find it ironic though, I have to use quick time plugin for the apple stuff. One of the supposed big proponents of HTML5 and yet I still have to use quick time, I just don't know about that. Something seems off with that.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
quicktime is a desktop program. They are talking about the mobile market. Flash's time is limited in the mobile market but not necessarily for the desktop

WildWestDesigns

Cute story and all but does development stop in anything? Why would you even want it to? When there is something better and more viable, why not use it?

Diminished marginal utility eventually comes into play. That one extra step doesn't give you the benefit for the cost that you put into it.

I'm not saying that we have reached that point yet and I don't think we have, but there is a point where that one extra step isn't justified.

I'm not saying that's the case now, I'm just saying that it does happen.

This is why I'm guessing that adobe has stop trying to make flash work for the mobile market, the cost of making it happen aren't being offset by the benefits, so improving flash for the mobile market is at diminished marginal utility.

petesign

Could it be that flash is dead for mobile devices because Apple refused to support it with their iphones and ipads? God forbid there is an application they cant control or charge for in the market. With that much of the market share being a platform that can't use the medium of course the vacuum steps in and something else comes up.

WildWestDesigns

I don't know what you mean by plugin? For your phone?

If you were to use your web browser app on your Droid phone ( I know you don't have one Doc, I'm using the generic you) and go to Apple's movie trailer website, those videos will not play. At least they don't play on my Droid 3 and they only list the app available for their mobile products. If they were using HTML5, I don't think this should be an issue with my phone.

Joe Diaz

I don't know what you mean by plugin? For your phone?

If we are talking Flash: Flash is a two part solution. The software developers use to make the content and the plugin used to broadcast that content on various browsers. This news essentially means that flash will no longer fight to have their plugins included on a lot of mobile devices. But they have been losing that fight anyway, so I don't see that anything has really changed, other than they can now focus on battles they have a batter chance of winning. But I seriously doubt this will kill flash. People have been saying flash will be dead for years now. It's still going. Why? Because the software developers use to make the content is unmatched by anything out there. And even if there was a comparable solution, it is going to take years upon years for existing flash content to disappear from the web. I have always maintained that it would be in these mobile companies best interest to find ways to display this content. Until then, they will never be the ideal platform for browsing the web.

HTML 5 competes against the plugin as a way to publish content. I personally believe Adobe will soon find an effective way for developers to continue using their flash software but rather than publish that content as an swf file, it will generate the HTML5 code. (This already exists, but needs a lot of fine tuning)

The only issues I have with Using HTML5 over flash's plugin is A: HTML5 cannot do some of the things that the flash plugin can do, and B: When you publish something to HTML5, that code is out their in the open. Anyone can steal the code I might have developed and use it on their site. Time will tell, there may be solutions to those issues in the near future.

signswi

One thing a lot of you seem to be missing is that Adobe is focusing on Air on mobile along with HTML5. You can develop an entire mobile app in Air and compile it cross platform to Android, iOS, WinPhone7. Many of the apps you're already running on your smartphones were developed in Air you just didn't notice. Additionally Flash (the actual development program) now exports to HTML5 and is a component of building Air apps so that's not going away any time soon.

Beyond that fact this press release only applies to Flash in mobile browsers, not even Flash on mobile systems (which they'll continue to support). Really no point in continuing Flash in mobile browsers with WebM being supported by Android and WinPhone7 and iOS having h264.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Cute story and all but does development stop in anything? Why would you even want it to? When there is something better and more viable, why not use it? I don't get why you would want web developers not to find new things because in reality all its going to do is make the industry more interesting and more to learn equals more to teach and more to teach equals more jobs.

Your reasoning makes no sense to me whatsoever because they're aren't many people in the world who will just say eh thats good enough, no more developing.

Did you catch the part about a "fully viable program" in my comments? Technology long ago fell into the realm of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. My point is that give us a fully functional program (as existed long ago with Flash) and let us live with it for a number of years. It takes a considerable investment of time and effort in particular to learn advanced Flash action scripting. Have you ever attempted it? My reasoning may make no sense to you, but to me, yes, what we have now is good enough. Future improvements should come as developers and the market demand it - not as an ongoing pursuit to keep a software program always on the brink of obsolescence. Am I using words that are too big for you?

Joe Diaz

One thing a lot of you seem to be missing is that Adobe is focusing on Air on mobile along with HTML5. Flash can't do what Air can. You can develop an entire mobile app in Air and compile it cross platform to Android, iOS, WinPhone7. Many of the apps you're already running on your smartphones were developed in Air you just didn't notice.

I think you are confused with how the technology works. AIR is simply a way to deliver things like flash (among other content) to mobile devices and desktops without the need of a web browser and its plugins. "Flash can't do what Air can" implies to me that you think the two are meant to compete. Here is how it works. I develop a game or something in Flash, I than use AIR to package and deploy it. In fact AIR internally uses Adobe Flash Player as its runtime environment. Besides, you are talking specifically about apps, flash plugins for browsers is a different deal.

Last edited:

weaselboogie

could it be that flash is dead for mobile devices because apple refused to support it with their iphones and ipads? God forbid there is an application they cant control or charge for in the market. With that much of the market share being a platform that can't use the medium of course the vacuum steps in and something else comes up.

+1! Totally agree