• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat toolbox and trailer prints

roybuys

Hey guys,

Are you using a cast or a premium poly for your flat panel printing for toolboxes and trailers?

Is a premium poly sufficient? There is no curves or anything and have heard a cast is very very overkill as it's all flat but still having doubts.

What do you use and why?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
On most jobs the important difference between cast vinyl and calendared vinyl is pennies. Calendared vinyl shrinks, all calendared vinyl shrinks. It's inherent in the way it was manufactured. Cast vinyl lasts longer, conforms to curves, and does not shrink. Again, because of the manufacturing process it does all of those things that calendared vinyl does not. That being the case, the question is not "Should I use cast vinyl?", it should be "Can I get away with using calendared vinyl?" Because, in most cases where you have to ask, you'd be getting away with it. Your mileage as well as your ethics may vary.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use Cast/High Performance film and laminate.

If it’s a 20 year old piece of crap it doesn’t matter.

Like Bob said the cost difference isn't much.

You don’t want your name attached to anything that cracks, fades and curls.

Charge accordingly…

somcalmetim

Depends if the trailer has rivets and how long you want it to last...if it has rivets you need good cast vinyl...if it is perfectly flat and temporary you can get away with a good cheaper vinyl.

roybuys

On most jobs the important difference between cast vinyl and calendared vinyl is pennies. Calendared vinyl shrinks, all calendared vinyl shrinks. It's inherent in the way it was manufactured. Cast vinyl lasts longer, conforms to curves, and does not shrink. Again, because of the manufacturing process it does all of those things that calendared vinyl does not. That being the case, the question is not "Should I use cast vinyl?", it should be "Can I get away with using calendared vinyl?" Because, in most cases where you have to ask, you'd be getting away with it. Your mileage as well as your ethics may vary.
Hey Bob,

We use Arlon 4600 for our poly stock which is around half the price for the kit compared to avery 1105. I just thought that especially that you're using for flat surfaces 1105 would be overkill for this type of application.

In Aus the Arlon kit specs say it should last 5 years so thought this was okay

roybuys

Depends if the trailer has rivets and how long you want it to last...if it has rivets you need good cast vinyl...if it is perfectly flat and temporary you can get away with a good cheaper vinyl.
Hey mate no rivets. I just assumed as it was a flat surface a premium poly would be okay

roybuys

Use Cast/High Performance film and laminate.

If it’s a 20 year old piece of crap it doesn’t matter.

Like Bob said the cost difference isn't much.

You don’t want your name attached to anything that cracks, fades and curls.

Charge accordingly…
Hey mate,

Thanks for the feedback. I just thought Arlon 4600 would be okay as it's a flat surface. I would of thought a cast would be overkill for something like this

MikePro

we use vehicle wrap vinyl for most things we intend to last a long time. I'd rather put a few more bucks into materials and give the client a longer-lasting product while saving on labor over "making it work" with economy vinyl.
....but dealer's choice really, flat is flat and if it works it works.

roybuys

we use vehicle wrap vinyl for most things we intend to last a long time. I'd rather put a few more bucks into materials and give the client a longer-lasting product while saving on labor over "making it work" with economy vinyl.
....but dealer's choice really, flat is flat and if it works it works.
Thanks mate appreciate the help