• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Flexisign file

meb

I have about a dozen FlexiSign files that I can't open. Is there a way to convert or open these files using Adobe Illustrator? Is there a quick conversion tool (wishful thinking).

Any FlexiSign users out there? How do you like this software? Pros - Cons?
Looks pretty awesome. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

FlexiSign is great! There are benefits to using Flexi and there's benefits to using Illustrator. You can't open a flexi file in illustrator, you have to export out of flexi as am eps or pdf file first. I don't have flexisign anymore or I'd do it for you. Do you have flexisign and it just won't open your files?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We could convert them for you, PM me.
I'm off for the next 2 work days, going to Maine for a long weekend.

We like flexisign a lot.
We use both an older version on a stand alone computer for cutting vinyl with XP on it, not hooked to the network or internet.
And a newer version, I think 10 for everything else.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
While I personally like Flexi, it's benefits depend on what you plan on using it for. It's a good program for production, but not for design.
- It's great for plotting, it can be a good RIP on the right machine when you've profiled properly, and it's nesting function is quite useful in determining material usage for routing, laser cutting, engraving, etc.
- It's not so great for design. Unless they've changed things, though, you can only do one "page" at a time (think Artboards in Illustrator or Pages in Corel). That makes doing multi-page presentations a pain. On the plus side, you can do drawings full-sized (I personally hate that limitation in Adobe and wish they'd "borrow" Corel's page scaling), and send files directly to EnRoute for cutting.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
- It's not so great for design. Unless they've changed things, though, you can only do one "page" at a time (think Artboards in Illustrator or Pages in Corel).

Don't have to use pages in Corel. Don't even have to have a page at all. I use a page set to the size needed, design one then copy/paste another right next to it on the desktop area but not on the desktop layer.

We use Flexi for RIP only no need for anything else.

meb

Thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like it might make a useful addition to the production of our print and cutting jobs. Especially when it comes to larger projects like car wraps.

meb

I don't have flexi yet. As a matter of fact, I never heard of it until a customer sent me the files ending in .fs lol
So now I am researching and finding out all about this software.

meb

Thanks for your message. I presently use VersaWorks as my rip software to our Roland VersaCamm SP540-V. And am thinking of purchasing FlexiSign Print & Cut.
Just wondering, could I use the flexisign files with VersaWorks ?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Flexi (FS) files are proprietary. I've never come across any software other than SAi's (the maker) that will open them.

Thanks for your message. I presently use VersaWorks as my rip software to our Roland VersaCamm SP540-V. And am thinking of purchasing FlexiSign Print & Cut.
Just wondering, could I use the flexisign files with VersaWorks ?
Yes, you can use Flexi with Versaworks, I would definitely do that as opposed to using Flexi to RIP. You can send your file to Versaworks straight from Flexi and Versaworks is def the easiest RIP software I've used before.

• Agree
Reactions: meb

Joe House

Flexi is a great Sign Production Software - including Sign Designing. (I don't think it was meant to be a presentation software, Southpaw, so I can't really mark points off for that). A lot of people use the design only package and send to Versaworks for Ripping. But Production manager is great for mating up equipment from different manufacturers (For example a Roland printer with a Graphtec cutter) and it includes ICC profile making capabilities - you supply the spectrophotometer.
It has some impressive vectorizing tools and I know some people who just use it to add contour cut lines to artwork created elsewhere.

The key to any software is to get a good education in it. If you're going to make a living with it, it would really pay to get some training of some kind. Flexi does training around the country and there are quite a few videos online as well - again with an emphasis on creating signs. Since Illustrator and Corel are more mainstream, you can often find classes at local colleges or trade schools for those - but these classes may be more oriented towards web design or document production. However, I've not taken any software class where I didn't pick up something useful.

Good luck.