• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FOAM TAPE?

MHester

This may seem like a simple question for folks, but it's the first time using foam tape for me. I need to stick some small aluminum signs (9X12) and some some styrene signs (6X10) to some outdoor metal square poles, and I saw other folks using foam tape. I bought what I thought was high tack foam tape a couple years ago from Grimco, and now going to use it. It just doesn't seem sticky. I have received some other sample rolls from trade shows as well, and none of them seem sticky. My banner tape I have seems to stick to things better than any foam tape I've seen so far. Am I doing something wrong? does it take time for the foam tape to get a good a adherence to the sign back?

I need educated on this please......and recommendations for a good high tac foam tape I can use.

danno

We wipe the surfaces with alcohol before sticking and use a high bond tape. I know Oracal and 3M both have them available.

Billct2

I have noticed that some VHB tapes feel less sticky than cheap foam tapes. But they cure hard. Your tape may be too old now. You should be sure the tape is the correct spec for the materials and location. If you want real piece of mind add few beads of Lexel.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In most cases, one just doesn't use any ol' foam tape with just any kinda surface. You need an adhesive that is going to stick to your substrate and the material being adhered to. There are tapes for all kindsa circumstances. I would suggest calling Chemical Concepts, tell them what your situation is and let them recommend the correct tape.