• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Foamboard and Grommets

CraigH

I searched the forum and did not find an answer so I though I'd ask. I have a customer that needs foamboard signs 2'x6' hanging from the ceiling (retail). They saw a similar sign that simply had 2 grommets and a small decorative chain that went to the suspended ceiling. The signs will be viewed from both sides. My question is how do you put grommets in foamboard without crushing it? Does a long neck grommet make that much of a difference? I'm hesitant using the twist-in-hook mounts, I just see them pulling out and the sign falling on a person.

Thanks
Craig

idsignsil

We have done this before and yes it does crush the foam board a little bit. We used our standard #2 self piercing grommets. FYI - you do have to cut the hole first by hand or use the old style grommet punch with a hammer, then we use a grommet press to put it in.

Most grommet machines have a way to set the "depth", so when you install the grommet you can avoid crushing or deforming the material. Usually it's not much more than a bolt on the back of the machine that acts as a stop.

You'll want to set everything up on some scrap. Drill a hole into the material, use long neck grommets, adjust the stop on the grommet machine, it might take a couple of tries but it's a nice look.

~Chris

CraigH

Thanks, I will look for the adjustment in the depth. I did drill a hole first which did reduce the crush quite a bit.

jtinker

Owner
dont drill holes into foamboard you will shred it. We get a lot of pharmacy companies asking for this and do it fearly often. We use standard self piercing grommets a bout an inch in from the edge of the print and gently clamp so we dont crush the foamboard. Do a couple practice boards just to be safe. They came out fine.

VISCOM

use a paper drill press and drill the hole and then use your grommet machine and just kiss the grommet down

Steve Sexton

we use twist in foam board hangers

yhst-66306532335598_2266_76702460.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigH

How well do the twist in foam hangers hold up? I'm concerned about them pulling out. When I said drill I meant with a paper drill and hollow core bit (we are a print shop too).

jtinker

Owner
They look like a good idea, but im thinking any idle teenager would lazily put his hand in the air and thwack it down. The last thing you want is a call saying that it fell, *knock on wood*

JJGraphics

Why not use Sintra instead of foamcore?

+1 for Sintra. I use my hiker grommet machine with self piercing grommets and punch through the sintra easily without deforming it in any way. My grommet machine allows me to adjust for the depth of the material, which is why it works so well on the sintra board.

Downside to grommets: I've got a big silver/brass/black ring on my finished product.

I've also used my paper drill and drilled 1/8" holes in the upper corners for threading fishing line through the holes. That looks really nice too, and it doesn't mess with the beauty of the finished product.

Aklaim

Use long shank grommets and watch your depth to make sure you're not crushing the foamcore, we do it all the time.

BobCap

Banner Up

Why not use a banner up. This worked for me on a bunch of foam core POS signs I made.

Not as cheep as grommets but worked well

CraigH

Why not use a banner up. This worked for me on a bunch of foam core POS signs I made.

Not as cheep as grommets but worked well

I just received the banner up samples today and plan to suggest that to the customer. I was thinking about sintra as well but they didn't want to spend any more than foamboard. Again, you get the customer that want's a $100.00 sign on a $25.00 budget.