• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For critique

Pete Moss

sill not I in love with the font for Holiday Sale as it is just to chunky and is hard to red. if you fee you must use it, try thinning it out a little with an inline then throw out the original and keep that as your copy

I'll try that next, here are some more keeping in mind what's been suggested.

Attachments

• for-crit3.jpg
    for-crit3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 75

Pete Moss

Now that I see it here, the middle graphic's top text looks too dark. I'll look at this with a fresh eye in the morning....

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
You don't always have to think inside the box.

"Holiday Sale" is my example.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 90

Pete Moss

Hey! You can read "Holiday Sale" in the preview now. Nice, however the client wants 50% Off to be the focal point. I'll see if I can make a hybrid, without looking like the margins are off. Yes, outside the box, something one of my teachers used to say often. Plus, I like bleeds. The plan is to have this one finalized over the weekend. Thanks again, folks!

Tiki

Font Sage
Try using all the same typeface and as suggested bring all the
elements in tighter together the Santa can also be made larger

Attachments

• 1aa.jpg
    1aa.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 90

Pete Moss

I do like the continuity the same font provided. In this case I am motivated to sacrifice unity for variation.

When first posting, I set out to lean more about balance of slanted staggered text with staggered horz. text. I ended up getting a great study of contrast, outlines, effects, and bleeds.

Your input is invaluable!

I am presenting two of the four to the client later today.

Attachments

• for-crit-fnl.jpg
    for-crit-fnl.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 78

Pete Moss

Almost forgot to thin out the script. All the text is legible through thumbnail view. Making this one my personal favorite.

Attachments

• SSFnlPrnt.jpg
    SSFnlPrnt.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 101

TimToad

Almost forgot to thin out the script. All the text is legible through thumbnail view. Making this one my personal favorite.

I've watched this thread from the start and at first couldn't tell the difference between the first 3 you posted. Now, I can't see a significant difference between your "favorite" ready to submit and those first three.

I think everything Tiki and rjpjr submitted as suggestions work really well and its a shame you couldn't accept or embrace any of those suggestions except for a minor tweak here or there.

There is so little prioritization and/or variation of text size, weight and color that your three messages just melt together with Santa's face and beard when I look at them. I get the holiday theme completely without the overpowering and irrelevant "Good Tidings" message.

Pete Moss

I disagree. From the beginning I believe the design only needed some fairly minor tweaks. I was waiting to see which one everyone else liked before submitting the two to the client. I was personally thinking maybe tres and the last one I posted.

I keep reiterating how much value I put in everyone's expertise.

If you look I made several changes based on suggestions:

The copy with the top layer Santa is what several people including myself liked.
The copy with no top text is because of Marlene's suggestion.
Making holiday sale in white for contrast is because of Jill's. I also added more black for more contrast.
Thinning out the holiday text is due to what Marlene said.
Santa scaled past the text margin was from what HDVinyl said about edges. The bleed on the magic sparkles is because of this too.
There are more but I think you get it.

I did explain why I did not change the text to all one font. It's the same reason anyone uses two fonts in a design.

Yes, if I were to make the font consistent as rjpjr and tiki suggested the design would have more unity. Like I said though, I was willing to sacrifice that for character. I feel as though I had a great deal of help making refinements and feel good about the process, as well as, the result.

I still have some time so I'll proof out some with the same font for unity, it wouldn't hurt anything.

As far as the variation in font weight goes, the script font provides that enough to me.

I also feel as though you frustration is unfounded.:noway:

Maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks. Especially rjpjr and tiki.

Now ladies and gentleman my beer is getting warm and this Saturday night is not getting any younger. I hope you all are having an awesome one. I'll check back tomorrow with a headache and scrambled eggs. Please be just a touch gentle to my future self.

:toasting:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gentle ?? :banghead:

Ya ain't gonna get that in this place. Once you hafta ask for it, they'll go even harder yet on you. From the beginning, you had something completely satisfactory. You chose to tweak it further, and for this place that became a challenge. All you've been getting is 'personal preference' opinions. All of the advise you've received works, but it's almost impossible to put it all to good use in one little poster.
Good luck............... :rock-n-roll: