• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full wrap of a grey car with plain white vinyl!

bulbus_maximus

This is a request we got where the customer wants to wrap his grey suzuki car fully with just plain white vinyl.
I plan to use 3M IJ180C for this but I think this will be much more expensive than a good old paint job (I am not sure though). In that case I might use 3M IJ40C for the flat door panels and the roof and use IJ180C for the bumpers.
In any case do you think as a plain white vinyl there are any disadvantages over paint apart from the cost aspect that I should make the customer aware of?
Few things that I have to think about are static (which would attract more dust), color brightness of paint vs vinyl (both vinyls are grey adhesive back), Scratch resistance, if any paint/petrol falls or birdshit falls (which is so common you know) will it come off easily from the vinyl with no permanent/discoloring marks (as it is not laminated)?
Any inputs you can give would be happy to grab.

:signs101:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Price versus paint will depend greatly on the quality of the paint job.... A quality clearcoat/basecoat paint job properly prepped and applied will cost ten times more than a half a roll of 180C. Then again if they are cheap they could always go to an econo paint shop and probably get it painted for $500 or so. Granted it will be very poorly prepped and applied with the cheapest single stage enamel paint possible and will have issues like substandard adhesion, peeling, overspray, etc and will not last like a proper paint job.

On the vinyl - even if unprinted I'd still laminate it. Another option would be a dedicated solid color wrap film like Oracal 970RA. Get a 25yd roll in gloss white - wrap away. Factory laminated and on a 60" roll for a nice seamless install.

bigben

like SightLine suggested you, I would recommend Oracal 970RA or 3M 1080 series. It would be cheaper and they are pre-laminated.

ucmj22

Price versus paint will depend greatly on the quality of the paint job.... A quality clearcoat/basecoat paint job properly prepped and applied will cost ten times more than a half a roll of 180C. Then again if they are cheap they could always go to an econo paint shop and probably get it painted for $500 or so. Granted it will be very poorly prepped and applied with the cheapest single stage enamel paint possible and will have issues like substandard adhesion, peeling, overspray, etc and will not last like a proper paint job.

On the vinyl - even if unprinted I'd still laminate it. Another option would be a dedicated solid color wrap film like Oracal 970RA. Get a 25yd roll in gloss white - wrap away. Factory laminated and on a 60" roll for a nice seamless install.

+1:thumb:

HulkSmash

Careful, typically when people call asking to wrap their car a solid color, it's cause they dont want to spend the money to paint it, and typically its full of rust, or dents.. or a mixture of both... a lot of time it'll have hail damage, and they'll want to cover that up..

We get about 6 calls a day asking us to wrap over their ugly paint job with a solid color, because they think it's cheaper.
we just say.. "No it's cheaper to paint"

not dealing with that.

OldPaint

that is really dumb!!! sorry but the cost of a paint job, since this is nothing more then a color change, covering it with vinyl is still gona look like crap. not only that but TIME spent on APPLYING VINYL......id sure gona be more then what it would take to prep car for complete paint. it you paint it...you can get the door jambs, under hood, truck ALL THE SAME COLOR. with vinyl you sure aint doing this parts of the car. so when you open the door jamb will be WHITE, car is GRAY!!!!! resale value of car..........NONE!!!
check with MAACO, EARL SCHIEB, PEACH, ECONO, or any number of these chain quicky paint shops. its a SUSIKI...cant be that old, aint that big.
1. Maaco paint prices typically stay at around $300 dollars for a full paint job.
2. peach $425 http://maacopaintprices.com/2011/03/21/peach-of-a-paint-job/
3. econo-bake $199.00 http://econoautopaintingsite.com/testimonials.php
i think you get the idea.
but you wana spend the TIME & MATERIAL and still wind up with a 2 color car...i dont think you can do it for $300 or less. if you do, you really need to find other work.

megacab

Careful, typically when people call asking to wrap their car a solid color, it's cause they dont want to spend the money to paint it, and typically its full of rust, or dents.. or a mixture of both... a lot of time it'll have hail damage, and they'll want to cover that up..

We get about 6 calls a day asking us to wrap over their ugly paint job with a solid color, because they think it's cheaper.
we just say.. "No it's cheaper to paint"

not dealing with that.

exactly. i can't tell you how many people ask for a quote for a single color wrap job and then tell me they can get it painted for far less. i have to remind them that i told them that to begin with. most, that i ask, assume a single color wrap should cost "around" $500. i just laugh and offer to sell them the vinyl and they can try their own hand at it.

OldPaint

was an old movie, guys painted a car with water soluble paint, white. went and robbed a bank, as soon as they turned the corner from the bank they drove into a car wash))))))
drove off in a black car.................

Ken

Yes, with that request, I was suspecting some illegal purpose too... guess it's not just me.
Cheers!
Ken

bulbus_maximus

wow, appreciate all your replies. Funny nonetheless!!!

You gave me a great idea - wrap the car before stealing a bank ... hahaa. Apart from that, wrap it so it will have better resale value too... many ways to convince the customer.

Nano idea is the best... hehee. Now you know I am from India, but I am a guy not a girl. Any inputs I am happy to grab for sure.

Yup paint and vinyl could come very close, depending on the quality. I appreciate the pdf on paintwraps, pretty informative, and I doubt that it would become big in India. Though I will work on this direction ofcourse. The part about requiring more skill, more precision and zero error/dirt tolerance scares me.

Regarding factory lamination, I need to check if that is possible here in India. Anyways will go ahead with the quote for the customer and tell him the caveats verbally - as there are just so many as you guys mention.

THanks a lot.. ciao

boxerbay

was an old movie, guys painted a car with water soluble paint, white. went and robbed a bank, as soon as they turned the corner from the bank they drove into a car wash))))))

cannonball run II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ554s14Vsw&feature=related

Lambo went from white to red.

Maybe the guys car is a lease so painting is not an option. Maybe he wants to make it a security car. We had one guy bring in a LEASED silver jeep compass. he ran a property security company - drives in circles around the mall, apartment complex, etc.. he had us wrap it in white. We used oracal 751 cast. went from silver to white in a day. he popped some yellow lights on top and he already had the police looking security decals for the doors. he says once the vehicle hits the mileage limit he agreed to on his lease he strips off the decals and turns them in for another vehicle. no niks no scratches = no dealer fees. he leases whatever is on the dealers lot to get the best deal. i guess there were no white jeep compasses at the time.

SqueeGeeMonkee

Also in The Jackel, White van, shoots at POTUS, drives to wash green van, Cruises right past police
problemofficer?.jpg