• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting the warranty?

Big House Signs

Hey,
We have a jv3-130 and our one year warranty is up Nov 9th. To continue with our service, we need to spend an average of 1000 a month with Grimco...which shouldnt be hard. But for the parts I'm looking at $1,995.00 for the year. Is that the going price? Do you think it's worth it?
any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Paula

GK

unfortunately machines never break until they are out of warranty lol (not true ours did) but thats what it always seems like. Head replacements aren't cheap so keep that in mind when making this decision.

ChicagoGraphics

I think you have it backwards with Grimco's service plan.
There 1 year service plan is $1995.00
then you must buy $500.00 per month in digital supplies only!

So the actural cost per year is $7995.00

I went with the company that sold me my Mimaki, and I paid $5000.00
plus they come out 4 times a yr. for maintance, plus anytime if the printer
needs to be repaired, the parts & labor is included in the price.

Big House Signs

This is the email I got from Grimco

"I wanted to send you a reminder that your Mimaki warranty expires on November 7th. This is a parts warranty. The cost is $1,995 for one year. Your service will continue either way as long as you purchased on average $1000(starting January) per month on digital and ink. Please let me know if you would like to renew the parts warranty. "

Am I reading it wrong?

ColesCreations

How much parts can you buy for 2k? And what can break?
Maybe try and get new print heads before the existing warranty expires?

The enclosed letter, it looks like if you spent 1k / month, you don't have to pay the $2k.

A "parts warranty" is what we have also, don't really know if it's worth 2k / year.

James Chrimes

I think Grimco likes to hose people on their plans. I just took over an account that was cutting their own vinyl on a cutter that they were renting from grimco and they had to purchase all of their vinyl from grimco at 450.00 a roll ( 15" hp) for interior signs. I hope that you are not taking that kind of beating as well.

Big House Signs

. I hope that you are not taking that kind of beating as well.[/quote said:
No, I bought the Mimaki outright, and they give me a good deal on the ink. Which is only averaging about 700 a month. Buy most of my vinyl, banner, wrap materials from Harbor Sales. Great prices, next day delivery. Grimco sent me a price list of their core products and it's very competitive so as long as business holds I think we can do the grand amonth.

Big House Signs

I printed a banner for the Havre De Grace Warriors last week...
It was through a marketing company selling advertising..

mmmm...wonder if it was the advertising company that called and asked me if I wanted to advertise. I said no since all the signs I do for that school I donate. And if they wanted to have banners printed why don't they keep the business local. Oh I have something to talk to them about the next time the school comes in here asking for something. Thanks!

kalvix

A Mimaki Print head runs $750/each there are 4 in this machine. Although the all likely don't go bad simultaneously. Print heads are the biggest expense short of the motherboard or communication board which are $2k/each.

Maintanance would be good if the included a cleaning/alignment once a year but it doesn't look like they are.. i would ask if this would be included... or what it is leaving out. Having someone come regurlary to insure the machine is running its best.

ColesCreations

You can get heads around $500 each, SS2 440cc is around 110-120 retail...
And- without warranty, you can use slightly expired ink, which you can probably buy around 1/2 price. (Can't imagine what will be the difference between 2 month old and 14 month old ink, as long as it is sealed)