• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glue for direct mount to wall

Vaga

My boss was wanting to try using a drill-less mounting technique similar to this-

http://www.artsigns.com/index.html

I think these signs look great with the clear spacers, but my concern would be with cementing acrylic rods directly to a painted wall, or that the glue would not hold indefinitely and falling off if the letters are heavy, possibly taking some of the wall surface with it. If there are more paint layers than 1 Im not sure if that would be reliable as there is no way to know. We would primarily be doing acrylics with our CNC router.

It still seems actually anchoring the letters in the wall as is typical is safer, I have a worry that these things would come off too easy.

Anyone tried doing something like this? Opinions on what kind of glue/cement would be appropriate for mounting like this? Thanks for any advice

Moze

You linked to their index page which has a ton of signs on it. I'm guessing you're referring to the Jet Cooper sign. If so - the sign isn't just "glued" to the wall. Those spacers are most likely drilled and tapped for studs which are then mounted into the wall. Since it looks as though they're illuminated, they have access to the back of that wall which means the studs likely extend through some form of bracing (washers, aluminum angle, etc.) and are mechanically fastened with nuts and lock washers. That's how I would guess it's built.

MikePro

welcome to signs101.
heavy letters, much like most if not all of those on that website, require drilling studs and stand-off hardware.
doubt any of those signs are simply glued to the wall....

S'N'S

The large letters are drilled and fastened with threaded aluminium rod and the smaller letters are glued on clear solid rod standoffs that you can see on a lot of the pictures, no screws in the smaller stuff (they tell you all that but not what type of glue). Would like to know myself.

Billct2

this sign was installed with patented artsigns mounting® system, no drilling, no dust, no noise, and most important very quick, in this case about 10 minutes.
http://www.artsigns.com/urls/colourphil/office_design_3d_sign_colourphil.html

I'd like to know what the "patented" method is too. Some kind of clear VHB, or maybe a glue gun, sticky back like Scott letters? It must be strong because they have some really nice clean looking installs on fairly large letters.

Billct2

Did you see this?
this sign was installed with patented artsigns mounting® system, no drilling, no dust, no noise, and most important very quick, in this case about 10 minutes
Are they push in pin mount? Kinda big for that. Combination pin & glue?

Last edited:

Billct2

I tried, but couldn't find it, but they're Canadian, so I may not be searching in the right places. Plus the patent would probably be assigned to a persons name not the business.

a77

Did you see this?

Are they push in pin mount? Kinda big for that. Combination pin & glue?

Pretty cool... guessing the standoffs with mounting pins are preinstalled on letters, maybe then they push letter in, pull it back out, put glue in the holes, then push it back in?
It's very clean, I really like it.

John Butto

You guys really think they have some sort of magic install and glue. Don't you think Gemini would use it or other companies. It is like Mosh said stud mount, and if you don't want dust, use an awl for your holes, and clear VHB on the glass and small letters. Also one sign had standoffs, oh that that is secret and magic for sure. And then it showed a girl putting vinyl letters on the wall with transfer paper, another magic patented install.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I bet it's an insert into the wall, slide the acrylic pins into it.